Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 grinds into first gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 grinds into first gear

Hey guys, I broke my car the other day (67 Camaro with a LS1/T56). I took it for a ride to the DMV, and when I shifted from 5 to 6 on the highway, the clutch pedal stayed on the floor. I was able to get off the highway, but did have to jam the car into first gear to get out of the way of a truck while getting it into a gas station. Once it was dropped off at my house, U used the same trick to get it on the lift.

I pulled the MC and installed a new one I had on the shelf, and after hours of frustration trying to bleed it I discovered how to use the Mighty Vac to do it. I hooked mine up and took a ton of air out. It really made a difference, and there is pedal pressure now.

Here is the concerning part, when I downshift into 1st (moving or not), it fights me and grinds going into gear. Some of the other gears are also a bit harder to shift into than I am used to. The trans was built by Joe and Amber back in 2008, and has about 8K miles (mostly PowerTour). Is it possible that I am not getting good disengagement, or did I screw the trans up? I have a car show on the 30th that I really need to get the car to, so if I need to pull the trans, I need to get on it real soon.

Thoughts? Advise? Things to look for?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:58 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Using a Mity to pull air from the reservoir is pulling from the bottom of the slave. If that's how you're doing it, you'll never bleed it; the bleeder is on top.

Since you undoubtedly have new fluid now(?), I'd look to crack the bleeder just enough for pressure to push fluid out, put a spark plug 90 over it, run hose into it like a plug wire, run the other end of the hose up to the reservoir, and clip it into the reservoir with the end down and submerged. Pump the pedal until no bubbles are coming out the hose end. Close up the bleeder. That's basically my "jmd method" of bleeding and as a recirculation style of bleeding, will get all the air out.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty certain I messed up something in first. All other gears are fine, but first is difficult to get. If I am moving, it will grind going in (bad synchro?) and even sitting still on the lift if I hit reverse and move back a few inches and then try to hit first, it is blocked, I have to hit second and forward a few times for it to finally go in. Once it is in first, I can take it to nuetral and back with no problem at all, so I am fairly certain I eiter bent the steel shift fork that Amber and Joe installed (hard to believe), or I screwed up the synchro. We are at the limit of my knowledge with the T56 though. I have changed input shafts on LT1 style trans in the past for use with an adapter for a few people, but never taken the whole thing apart. Any recommended trans guys in the Twin Cities area?

Quick Reply: T56 grinds into first gear