Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sprung or unsprung clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sprung or unsprung clutch

I am in the market for a new clutch and am going with a twin plate. My question is; what are the drivability differences between a sprung and unsprung disk.

I am between the RST/RXT (unsprung) and the Spec SS-trim(sprung). Most recommend the RXT if you plan on tracking at all. The RXT with flywheel runs very similar in price to the SPEC at just under $1200. I am just looking for some inputs and experiences on the clutches. I may also consider the Monster Stage II but not the III for any reason. Drivability is everything for me.

FYI: I do not have and will not have a roll cage so under 11.5 or whatever the time is will not happen. Hopefully :-) I also have plans on moving my motor to a 383. And a big maybe on a blower.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to throw in my opinion on your Monster Stage 2/3 comment. I have been running a Monster Stage 2 clutch for about a year and a half, and a lot of daily driving and street abuse. I wanted a Stage 2 for the full face disc for ease of drivability. I recently installed their Stage 3 into my buddy's GTO and I'm VERY impressed with the manners of it. I was expecting chatter like most Stage 3 clutches. I like my clutches very smooth, and had I known how nice the Stage 3 drove, I probably would have bought one. Don't be afraid to use their Stage 3, they got it right!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

I would go ahead and do the 3, I have 3 of their clutches and not one problem out of them. Drive ability is not a problem my girlfriend weight 97lbd and she DDs my Gto with a 3, not a lick of problems
Old 06-30-2012, 01:53 PM
FormerVendor

We have twins now.

Call us and we'll take care of you!

Quick Reply: Sprung or unsprung clutch