Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Clutch Twin Discs-Released!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Monster Clutch Twin Discs-Released!

Hello all,

FINALLY!!!! We are very proud to announce our twin disc lineup for the GM LSx based platforms!

Our new billet aluminum twin discs are designed, tested, built, and assemebled here in house to the strictist tolerances to ensure you guys are getting your monies worth. We're so confident in our new twins that we put a TWO YEAR warranty on these units, that's yet another industry first! With the ability to hold from 700hp to 1500 and beyond we're confident we've got a twin for you. Every part of the clutch is made in the United States of America, absolutely nothing on these units are brought in from overseas. We feel these are the best twin disc units on the market, bar none. Not only do these have excellent street manners they can take a severe beating as well.

At two plus years in the making we're not screwing around. These things have to be an improvement upon our already incredibly popular singles and push the envelope of the twin disc market beyond what most of you are used to. You won't find any stamped steel import pressure plates stacked on top of two discs, you're not going to find any sub par parts inside, all you're getting is American made quality that will handle the rigors of daily driving and track abuse.

Below are some key elements to our twins -
•One piece billet aluminum covers
•4140 floater and pressure plates
•Progressive rate diaphragm springs (Very important! We don't use "break over" type springs on our twins, this means you have a steady pedal pressure and ZERO high rpm shifting issues as these have been tested to 10,000 rpm)
•Organic with marcel spring and Ceramic Matrix Frictions
•Billet Steel flywheels with two weight options (28# for the masses and 18# for the crazy road racing/autocross guys that are looking for the lowest MOI possible)
•Fully rebuildable (Rebuilding your clutch also resets your 2 year warranty!)
•An actual stable feeling clutch pedal (Gone are the days of the puny clutch pedal that has no feedback and gets limp when you're using and abusing it, our diaphragms give steady pressure every time)
•Balanced from us as an assembly
•Tested and proven at rated hp/tq, no gimics or bs

We are currently taking orders for these clutches with expected ship times (depending on sales volume) 1-3 weeks from your time of purchase. We'll be doing all we can to get these out in a timely manner, however, please understand that a lot of folks have waited two years for us to release these, there will be a bit of a delay initially. To make up for this, we're releasing these during our sale that is taking place to help you guys get $100 off and free shipping! You must call to order these, any of our dealers or distributors can get you taken care of as well.

Below is the three flavors these come in, pricing is basic packages with the standard weight flywheels - any questions just let us know!
•Level 1 Twin Disc (700hp/tq) - $1199 shipped!
•Level 2 Twin Disc (1000hp/tq) - $1399 shipped!
•Level 3 Twin Disc (1500hp/tq) - $1599 shipped!

I'd like to thank everyone that has been a supporter of Monster Clutch, and all that have patiently waited for this day to come. We sincerely believe you will NOT be disappointed. Pictures of the units will be posted as soon as the web guy and photographer are done with the photo shoots for the site. If anyone has any questions please feel free to give me a call.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. I haven't finished the breakin period of the stage 2 I put in my 89, so I haven't really made any conclusions about it but you guys have a good reputation around here. I've been interested in twin disk clutches and it's good to see you guys offering one.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size are the disks? and whats the full weight with the flywheels
Old 06-28-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I WILL be ordering one in the next week or two. SO glad I waited. What are the disk materials for the various stages?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exidous

I WILL be ordering one in the next week or two. SO glad I waited. What are the disk materials for the various stages?
THIS!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

AMERICAN MADE!!! god bless you all!! if it's anything like your single disc's look out! now your'e gonna make me push my level 2 harder!! good job nothing like raising the bar for the others to try and match. [real race cars 3 pedals!] the oldman...
Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

I'll be picking up a stage 2 soon!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think they may be a little busy... Seems their phone ringer is turned down. :-p
Old 06-29-2012, 06:24 AM
10 Second Club

Cant wait to get one in the car and start beating its ***
Old 06-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

If they are as good as the stage 3 I have in the car now, it will be a twin disc setup from them the next time!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can these be rebuilt if need be? Like the McLeod twin?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

I can't wait to get one of these beasts in my Corvette and start spraying on it! My Level 3 is holding up amazingly well to the 6000+rpm launches and nearly 600rwhp I've been giving it and I am going to run it till it I wear it out. But once it goes you better believe one of these twins will be behind my motor!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Bullet point #6
Old 06-29-2012, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How are the street manners of this clutch compared to the level 3 single disc?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to ask the dumb questions... What is the benefit in going with a twin disk? I have a stage 3 monster now, I see the specs show the twin have a much higher tq rating but other than that and the obvious change in parts, what is the difference? Do they "feel" any different? Perform any different? Educate me a little
Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

You usually get increased drivability and a lighter pedal effort. The primary benefit to a twin is awesome power holding with drivability that is equal to or better that it's single disk material counterpart. IE ceramic puck single to a ceramic puck twin.

I was talking to Steve yesterday and he said they use a constant rate spring rather than one that is hard then really soft. So the pedal will require constant pressure the entire way through the throw of the pedal. Plus you cannot beat the 2 year warranty and the warranty after rebuild. I think he also said that it is a 8.5" disk and the entire system with the 28lb flywheel is about 44lbs. He also mentions that using the 18lb flywheel was insane on the response but a fair bit difficult on the street. He recommended the 18lb for road course and autox use only due to the low MOI of the smaller diameter disks and pressure plate. I ordered mine yesterday and will update with pics once it is installed, breaking in and broken in. I got the Level one with organic disks. In addition, he said that one disk is sprung and the other is not. Since they engage at slightly different spots in the pedal throw you get the lighter disk and the smoother engagement of the sprung hub. Sounds like a nice piece to me.

Oh and Steve was great to talk to despite them having already closed and it being 7:30pm. Steve, don't get mad at me for letting a little of the cat out of the bag. Less questions for you to answer when people call perhaps? :-)

Last edited by Exidous; 06-29-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow thats a light clutch. My level 1 with 18lb. flywheel weighs 46lbs, and my stock clutch/pp weighed 50lbs.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The PP is billet machine aluminum and the disks are 8.5" I believe as opposed to 11 or 12". I'd image that shaves a good bit of weight off.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 PM
FormerVendor

Just a precursor... I've been getting my *** kicked this week, so, I apologize for the lack of answering the phone out here. It's been insane!

I'll post after this answering anyones questions.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by t_raven
Very cool. I haven't finished the breakin period of the stage 2 I put in my 89, so I haven't really made any conclusions about it but you guys have a good reputation around here. I've been interested in twin disk clutches and it's good to see you guys offering one.
Thanks for the interest, I genuinely believe you'll love your Level 2 single!

Originally Posted by jrane
What size are the disks? and whats the full weight with the flywheels
8.5" to keep MOI at a minimum. Full weight for the standard kit is 44lbs, lightweight kit is 34lbs.

The level 1 is organic, top disc is dampened with a marcel and the second is a rigid unit. The Level 2 and 3 is a 6 puck ceramic unit that uses two different diaphragm springs to dictate the level.

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
AMERICAN MADE!!! god bless you all!! if it's anything like your single disc's look out! now your'e gonna make me push my level 2 harder!! good job nothing like raising the bar for the others to try and match. [real race cars 3 pedals!] the oldman...
Thanks!!! We appreciate the continued support and kind words.

Originally Posted by NUYBs

As Steve stated, you can preorder these twin disc clutches from distributors.

Here is our link:

http://www.coloradospeed.com/index.p...LSTDL&x=6&y=10

During checkout, it will automatically deduct $100 and with each order, we'll throw in a free Monster Clutch t-shirt. Just note what size you want in the COMMENT section during check out.
Thanks for posting this Young, you guys take advantage of the $150 savings!

Originally Posted by CWIZZLE
I'll be picking up a stage 2 soon!
Any of our dealers/distributors or us can get you taken care of!

I think they may be a little busy... Seems their phone ringer is turned down. :-p
See my previous post, it's been insane!

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
Cant wait to get one in the car and start beating its ***
I'm excited as well Ray, a lot of your feedback was used in the development of this setup!

Originally Posted by TOYBOX
If they are as good as the stage 3 I have in the car now, it will be a twin disc setup from them the next time!
It's better

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
As someone already pointed out, yes. The main difference is you can do it yourself without having to send the unit back to us. We can send you a rebuild kit and you or your installer can do it when they pull the clutch out of the car. No need for excessive down time.

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I can't wait to get one of these beasts in my Corvette and start spraying on it! My Level 3 is holding up amazingly well to the 6000+rpm launches and nearly 600rwhp I've been giving it and I am going to run it till it I wear it out. But once it goes you better believe one of these twins will be behind my motor!
Thanks Jeremy! Your 10.5x pass you sent me the video of was great! Keep it up and your C5 should go 9's, we're pushing for you!

Originally Posted by bww3588
How are the street manners of this clutch compared to the level 3 single disc?
Our Level 1 is like a stock clutch with a more responsive/better feedback pedal. The Level 2 twin is like the Level 3 single as far as drivability - but it will hold a hell of a lot more power.

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I have to ask the dumb questions... What is the benefit in going with a twin disk? I have a stage 3 monster now, I see the specs show the twin have a much higher tq rating but other than that and the obvious change in parts, what is the difference? Do they "feel" any different? Perform any different? Educate me a little
Slightly stiffer pedal, most of this is due to the newly designed/utilized spring. It feels stiffer because there isn't a break over point. Other than that you can get the same holding capacity of an aggressive single using a non aggressive twin like our Level 1. The warranty is twice as long and the life of the clutch is just under twice as long. It's a win-win.

You usually get increased drivability and a lighter pedal effort. The primary benefit to a twin is awesome power holding with drivability that is equal to or better that it's single disk material counterpart. IE ceramic puck single to a ceramic puck twin.

I was talking to Steve yesterday and he said they use a constant rate spring rather than one that is hard then really soft. So the pedal will require constant pressure the entire way through the throw of the pedal. Plus you cannot beat the 2 year warranty and the warranty after rebuild. I think he also said that it is a 8.5" disk and the entire system with the 28lb flywheel is about 44lbs. He also mentions that using the 18lb flywheel was insane on the response but a fair bit difficult on the street. He recommended the 18lb for road course and autox use only due to the low MOI of the smaller diameter disks and pressure plate. I ordered mine yesterday and will update with pics once it is installed, breaking in and broken in. I got the Level one with organic disks. In addition, he said that one disk is sprung and the other is not. Since they engage at slightly different spots in the pedal throw you get the lighter disk and the smoother engagement of the sprung hub. Sounds like a nice piece to me.

Oh and Steve was great to talk to despite them having already closed and it being 7:30pm. Steve, don't get mad at me for letting a little of the cat out of the bag. Less questions for you to answer when people call perhaps? :-)
LOL, thanks Patrick! I'm glad to see that customers calling with questions are willing to share their newfound knowledge with the masses. What Patrick posted is spot on. The only thing he missed is we do NOT recommend a larger bore master with our twins. This is for numerous reasons, you can easily overextend these units due to the spring design and it will increase pedal effort quite a bit... to the point of ridiculous in some cases.

Originally Posted by Fry_
Wow thats a light clutch. My level 1 with 18lb. flywheel weighs 46lbs, and my stock clutch/pp weighed 50lbs.
True. That mixed with where the weight is on the unit makes it a class leader in MOI.

The PP is billet machine aluminum and the disks are 8.5" I believe as opposed to 11 or 12". I'd image that shaves a good bit of weight off.
Indeed.

Quick Reply: Monster Clutch Twin Discs-Released!