Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trouble with 3rd and sometimes 5th

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble with 3rd and sometimes 5th

I am having problems with shifting into third. I've pretty much had this problem the whole year and a half I've had the car.

Whenever I shift into third, shifting up or down, I feel the stick hit something. After I wait a second or less, I can push all the way into gear. If I try to do this quickly, I might grind a little bit even with the clutch pedal all the way in.

I've noticed that if my RPMs are relatively high, 3.5-4K, it's a LOT easier to get it in. If my RPMs are very low, it's also easier but I can still feel that bump as I'm going in.

I can sometimes feel the bump when the engine is off and I move the stick shift around in and out of 3rd.

Sometimes I feel this with fifth, but it's not nearly as bad.

Is the fix as simple as replacing syncros or is my problem even more serious than that even?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem with mine, but I have it happen in 5th. I have to play with it a bit until it is all the way into 5th. It will grind for a split second then go right in. Sometimes it will do it other times it wont. When shifting into 3rd the other day it actually locked the wheels up on me for a second, it was really weird. It had that same feeling like a bump. Im still trying to figure out if its tranny related or if its the rear end.