Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Looking for some clarification...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some clarification...

I've searched and found contradicting answers... my problem: when the clutch is engaged (foot off, pedal OUT) I hear a loud bearing growl. If the car is in gear, clutch IN, and I rev, it makes an awful rubbing/vibration. Car in neutral, clutch in OR out, revs dont make any abnormal noise. Sometimes shifts are rough in lower RPM's, feels like something trys to grab before it engages the gear. It's not a gear grind. Basic bolt on LS1 with a T56, LUK/Sachs LS6 replacement clutch, o'reilly's slave cylinder, TICK master.

I don't have enough downtime at the moment due to changes at work and having too many hours to drop my trans, but I know it's either my pilot bushing or the throwout bearing. If I'm sitting at idle, the noises go away if I disengage the clutch (pedal DOWN). Help!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Really, no one?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont want to sound like a dick so i apologize. However if you dont have time to take the tranny out but you know what the problems are then why are you asking? It honestly does sound like the pilot bearing or TOB but you will have to remove the tranny to replace them. The pilot is around 12 bucks... Were the slave and pilot replace with the clutch?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes both have been replaced... I understand what you're saying, but I figured someone would have a good answer. If I know for sure I'll start planning a weekend on the lift at work.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ya i mean there's not much else it could be other than something internal to the trans but i'd still put money on the pilot or tob even new parts can be bad only way to be sure is take it off and see
Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a throwout bearing to me.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a similar problem.

When I replaced my clutch i didn't have a pilot bearing puller and it was late. I left the stock pilot bearing in at 98k.

Now, at idle with the clutch pedal depressed, in or out of gear I'm getting a slight bearing noise. It's intermittent.

When the trans is cold and I let the clutch out I feel a slight grind from 1st and second gear when releasing the pedal at low speeds.

Does this sound like a failing pilot bearing to you guys?

Quick Reply: Looking for some clarification...