Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rebuilding T56. Have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilding T56. Have a few questions

This transmission came out of a C5 Vette. The reason it was removed was because it was grinding when going into all the gears. My first thought was clutch and it seemed fine as far as holding power. However, after the fact, he discovered the pilot bushing was completely shot and that's listed in the manual as could cause gear clash in all gears. My buddy just wanted it pulled apart and everything checked. Got the thing taken apart and have a few questions.

First, the thrust washers are being an absolute bitch to get off. Are these supposed to slide off or have to be pressed off/on? Also, the synchro assemblies all have a groove on one side and the manual does not mention an orientation for these, or if it does, I didn't see it. The manual also mentions pressing the synchros back on. All the gears have come off without a puller and all the synchros have come right off. Is this a problem?

There's a thrust washer above 2nd gear and it is NOT coming off without a fight. I don't feel good about trying to press it off because the 1-2 synchro assembly is on the other side and I can't get that off until everything else is off. So, any suggestions about getting this off? Should these have to be pressed off?
Old 07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6 GreeN
First, the thrust washers are being an absolute bitch to get off. Are these supposed to slide off or have to be pressed off/on? Also, the synchro assemblies all have a groove on one side and the manual does not mention an orientation for these, or if it does, I didn't see it. The manual also mentions pressing the synchros back on. All the gears have come off without a puller and all the synchros have come right off. Is this a problem?
The thrust washers, IIRC, should come off without a problem. The groove in the side of the synchro assemblies should be facing towards the front of the trans on re-assembly. If your gears and synchros have come off without a puller, that's a problem. They should be tight enough that you need a puller and you should have to press the synchros back on. Some have gotten away with lubing them up with assembly grease and tapping them on with a piece of PVC pipe, but I couldn't and had to use a press. It's probably better that way anyway.

Originally Posted by WS6 GreeN
There's a thrust washer above 2nd gear and it is NOT coming off without a fight. I don't feel good about trying to press it off because the 1-2 synchro assembly is on the other side and I can't get that off until everything else is off. So, any suggestions about getting this off? Should these have to be pressed off?
Like I said earlier, you should have to use a puller on the gears and synchros. Thrust washers should come right off, IIRC. You might want to call Tick or another trans builder on here and talk with them. You might be looking at a new mainshaft and/or new gears.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The grooves don't matter. They did on old transmissions.
Try and keep the slider and hub facing the same way but it probably won't matter either.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha after re-reading my post, I realized I said the thrust washer above 2nd. It's above 3rd. Not sure why I put 2nd. Anyway, everything's sliding off so I guess I will call someone who knows better than me and see if a new mainshaft will fix it. I'd hate to have to buy new gears and synchros. That would be super expensive. I've noticed the snap rings have been spinning on the mainshaft as well so it looks like whoever rebuilt it to start with didn't use new snap rings...
Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The synchro hub should be firmly pressed onto the mainshaft.
Maybe post a pic of what you're seeing.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding T56. Have a few questions