Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fidanza aluminum flywheel warps

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fidanza aluminum flywheel warps

So I've been running a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with a Spec 3+ clutch with the aluminum pressure plate option. It was broken in properly, but has always chattered although less in its later life. Recently it started slipping when in boost, so I tore it down over the weekend and found this:

As you can see, the steel insert warped badly, and the clutch disk has ground the warped spot back down flat to the point that there's now a hole! This happened at 3 different points on the flywheel. I haven't really seen many warnings about this sort of failure so I wanted to post this for people considering running a similar combination.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one just like that. I bought it used. I should have had a better look at it. It came out a stock LS6 miata with no power adders
How much is the steel insert from fidanza
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

You can buy the insert for ~$55 or ship it back to them and they'll install it for you for about the same I think. No one ever mentions this kind of failure when all the steel vs. aluminum flywheel threads pop up. This was on a pure street car on street tires.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Just chiming in here as a customer let me know about your post. We'd actually like to get more detail on what happened with that LS flywheel, as we have never seen one warp before. If you have any additional images and info, please send it along to sales@fidanza.com. It might even be good to send the flywheel back in and have it inspected to verify if it is still ok for use. 6061 aluminum just doesn't do that under normal conditions and the friction plate itself is 1050 steel. Drop us a line if we can be of help.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Well you can see that the aluminum hasn't warped (just from observation, I haven't checked/measured it); it's the steel insert that warped. I have more pictures of it that I will send you. What kind of info would be helpful?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Pictures and info have been sent and no response.

Quick Reply: Fidanza aluminum flywheel warps