Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 throw out bearing wobble & vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 throw out bearing wobble & vibration

I've got an early Camaro T56 swapped in to my '86 Corvette. Shortly after the conversion I noticed what feels like a flywheel vibration (all speed, all gears, clutch in & out). Flywheel was a stock Camaro unit in excellent shape (unturned). So I'm thinking maybe the pressure plate is unbalanced (china knock off) , so out comes the tranny again. Well the Pressure plate does sport a couple of small drilled balancing holes.

So I'm getting read to test for vibes and I noticed the throw out bearing wobbles, as in it's off center. I can't see how this would be my problem unless it only vibrated with the clutch in, but it sure don't look right.

Has anyone seen this before?

As you can see the mount in the fingers seems solid, the center hole in the bearing itself is off centered.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another. It looks to be about .040 of run-out at the center. And to be clear, the movement has nothing to do with the clearance/slop of the bearing on the fingers. (at no time during either video does the outer part of the bearing move or shift on the fingers). I thinking the bearing was stamped together incorrectly

Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn.....that cant be good! its outta round big time.

Quick Reply: T56 throw out bearing wobble & vibration