Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

bench bleeding a clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bench bleeding a clutch

Hello, I ran into a problem the other day. On my way home I took off from a red light a little aggressive, but not real hard, and when I let the clutch out it felt like it slipped for a second and then grabbed hard. I then went to shift into second and it wouldn't go into gear, not any gear. I finally got it into second gear with a few RPM's, and found that the clutch wouldn't disengage when I pushed in the pedal. So I lucky wasn't far from home and made it slowly in second gear. Anyway I currently have a monster 3.5 clutch with a OEM master cylinder with drill mod,and after searching and talking with the shop that installed the clutch 3 years ago, I am lead to believe the master cylinder is the culprit. I ordered a tick and my question is, is it better to bench bleed it and if I do bench bleed do I still need to bleed it after the install? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes you should bench bleed it as it will make bleeding in the car shorter. put the mc in a vice and attach the reservoir to the mc and fill it with fluid. now start the pump the mc by hand and you will begin to see aire bubbles come up through the reservoir. when you cant push the mc rod in anymore it is bled. install it in the car and bleed it traditionally or with a mity vac until you have a good pedal and you're done.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
yes you should bench bleed it as it will make bleeding in the car shorter. Put the mc in a vice and attach the reservoir to the mc and fill it with fluid. Now start the pump the mc by hand and you will begin to see aire bubbles come up through the reservoir. When you cant push the mc rod in anymore it is bled. Install it in the car and bleed it traditionally or with a mity vac until you have a good pedal and you're done.
thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Hey I got a ram 98931 hd clutch and Im having problems bleeding , my trans was rebuild by tick performance and I repklace the slave cyl. with rams also, would the stock mc would be strong enough for this clutch? The mc is from advance auto
Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Bolt it in the car and hook everything up.
Barely crack the bleeder so fluid can come out but doesn't drain easily.
A 90deg. spark plug boot fits over the bleeder.
Fit hose to that, and submerge the other end in the reservoir.

Pump the pedal until bubbles stop.
Close the bleeder.

Congrats, it's bench bled and you didn't waste time bleeding it out of the car, nor adding air to the system when installing it.

Quick Reply: bench bleeding a clutch