Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd gear pops out randomly while driving ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3rd gear pops out randomly while driving ?

Friend has a 6 speed and only sometimes does 3rd gear just kid of 'pop' or 'kick' out of gear while In 3rd gear. It's don'e it randomly sometimes it won't for a whole few days or a week sometimes twice in a row. All gears go in fine no scratching at all.

The last time we just cruised around in 3rd up an down the rpm band holding speeds and slowing down and accelerating and it didn't do it. Then we tried again and after in gear we were slowing down to like 20mph it just clicked out of gear into neutral.

Googling has brought up tons of info from synchros to synchros not actually being the issue as they don't hold the gear in place.

Already has a short shifter (mgw) and it did it before and after. Thinking to try fluid swap and trans bushing first?

Thoughts and input are appreciated
Old 07-19-2012, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most aftermarket shifters are adjustable. I had gears pop out on my old mustang with a pro 5.0 short shifter until I adjusted it.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shifters with stops do nothing positive on a T56. Adjusted properly they do absolutely nothing / adjusted incorrectly they can cause gear jump outs.However, this sounds more like a wallowed 3/4 shift fork or damaged fork pads. I suspect it still has the orig-spec aluminum fork. There is an iron fork replacement offered.You may have syncro sleeve & gear clutch tooth damage as well. Don't waste you money swapping oil....that won't fix this.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is a shift fork inside the tranny? It did this before and after the short shifter. The shifter was actually installed in hopes that the notchiness would help hold it in gear.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the fork would require a tear down. You can also get billet keys with stronger springs that also help besides just going over the trans to check condition.

Quick Reply: 3rd gear pops out randomly while driving ?