Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch nightmare with a silver lining

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch nightmare with a silver lining

So prior to me purchasing my SOM there was a complete clutch replacement (master, slave, flywheel, and assembly) That was about 11k ago. I was driving home from work on Sunday when I shifted and my pedal was almost stuck to the floor. Managed to get home, tried bleeding but no dice. Had it towed to my local shop and they told me originally it was slave and about 580 in costs. I figured that was okay for me not having to do the trans drop myself. Today they called me after getting into her a bit more and said that the line from master to slave, slave, AND master were gone and apparently had been on the way out for a while.

So to replace everything again it was gonna be 2100 bones. I decided to hell with all that and just ordered a monster stage 2 clutch kit w/ tick mc, new slave, tick bleeder, billet flywheel, new bearings, and ARP bolts for a tad over $1000 from Tick Performance. I was pissed that my clutch system is f'd, but feels good knowing i am getting a sweet upgrade in the process. Joey at Tick was very helpful and they've already marked my order as ready to ship! can't wait to get it. I've not done a clutch install before so this will be new. I browsed a bunch of posts about it but would appreciate any thoughts on the install.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm gonna be getting something along the same lines very soon, Keep this thing updated with your progress. They have been answering my questions through email and have helped me through everything. I've even thought about taking my car up to them, and having them do it just so they get the money for the install.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

I have not been able to find a great writeup w/ pics so I think I will undertake that. There is a good one on a gto forum so between that and my service manual I think I will be good. Might as well pay myself 1000 to install it!

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
I'm gonna be getting something along the same lines very soon, Keep this thing updated with your progress. They have been answering my questions through email and have helped me through everything. I've even thought about taking my car up to them, and having them do it just so they get the money for the install.
Good to hear that. They seem like a great company to work with. I've read so many good things about the tick mc and their customer service in general.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Finished the install of my clutch and new hydraulics. Put about 50 miles on it so far. My monster clutch grabs real nice. The tick unit is amazing as well. Still working on an adjustment for the master. Also put in a speed bleeder and wow that thing is a must! I had never taken on a project like this and it was fun but hard work. When I got everything out I saw the pilot roller bearing was destroyed. Not sure if that was the root of my problems but got everything replaced and shes running much better. The clutch disc had some definite slick spots from oil getting on it. I replaced my rear main crank seal so hopefully thats the issue. I'll get some pics up later. So far I give this monster stage 2 setup an A as well as the tick components an A. I even called with a question during the install and they were very helpful.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback man. We really appreciate it

Quick Reply: Clutch nightmare with a silver lining