Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

having clutch/transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default having clutch/transmission issues

so a few months ago, i got a Tick adjustable master and a stock slave replacement because the stock parts went out on me. i had a local shop install them, and all was good, except the stock clutch was within a inch of its life.

i ordered a new Monster Level 2 clutch package with the lightweight aluminum flywheel. i drove the car on the stock clutch until the pedal dropped to the floor again.

i thought the stock clutch had just finally bit the big one, so i took it back to the same shop to have them install the new Monster clutch package. while they were in there, they found that the new slave that they had just put in about 2 - 2.5 months before was dead already.

i grabbed a new one from Auto Zone so they could get the car back together, and they got the car back to me.

i noticed that the shifter was a little hard to get into gear, but i figured that was just either due to the clutch being new and needing to "break in", or the master needing to be adjusted.

i got under the dash and adjusted the master cylinder, and also pulled the shifter (Pro 5.0) and readjusted it to make sure everything was lined up properly.

it was a little better for a while, but now it's getting hard to get into gear again.

it's easy to put into gear with the engine not running; however, when i start the car, it's usually pretty hard to get into 1st or 2nd, and even hard to get into the other gears. reverse is sometimes impossible to get into. i have to kill the engine, put it into reverse, then start it up again.

also, when i come up to a light and have to stop, i usually engage the clutch and put it into 1st gear so it's ready to go when the light goes green. but since this problem started, a lot of times it will vibrate the entire car (getting progressively worse until i take it out of gear entirely). if i'm in neutral with the car running, and i start to put the car into first gear, but stop when i feel resistance (without it going completely into gear), the car wants to roll forward.

they did not use a shim on the clutch when they installed it, because the instructions from Monster state that a shim is not needed with their clutch packages. is this a special case where a shim is actually going to be needed, or is there something else going on?

i'm gonna try getting under the dash and adjusting the master cylinder a little more to see if it helps any, but i can't see that it will get rid of the problem entirely, as there's not a lot of travel left on the adjustment.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you describe the vibration better? Do you feel a vibration in the clutch pedal itself?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

the whole car is vibrating, like the clutch is trying to grab & move the car forward, even with the clutch pedal depressed all the way and my foot on the brakes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

there is also a "pulsing" feel to the clutch pedal once i start to press the pedal....when it's at rest at the top of its travel, it's not really there, but as soon as i start to push the pedal, i can feel it
Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

so i got under the dash yesterday afternoon and adjusted the master cylinder longer, and it did help in terms of being a lot smoother & easier to get into gear while driving, but getting into 1st and reverse initially still seem a lot more difficult than it used to before the clutch replacement.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like there is a hydraulic issue, more than likely it's either got air in the system or the slave you got is faulty. If there is air in the system you can adjust the master and it will seem fine for a bit, then it will go back to having issues again.

The vibration you are describing sounds like the friction is getting hot because it's not being released fully. The clutch is attempting to grab and go but it's not being allowed. This will eventually destroy the clutch, you need to get it back to that shop for them to fix it or take it to another shop that is competent and experienced with these cars.

If you have any other questions or want to call us and go over this in more detail just give us a call at 817-750-2000.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you called us today at Tick?

This is Martin BTW, did bleeding the Master help it at all?

Call us again in the morning if this didn't fix it!

I will show this post to Jonathan again tomorrow and ask him his thoughts.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

nope, it wasn't me that called

but i do have an update....apparently, the next day after i adjusted the master, things got a lot better, even though it didn't seem like they were better the afternoon that i adjusted it....i was able to shift pretty easily most of the time, there was just a bit of difficulty getting the car into 1st (but still much better than before), and getting the car into reverse.

also, it doesn't try to take off on its own at a stop anymore when the clutch is pressed, and it's much easier to get out of gear now as well....before at times, it would be extremely difficult to even get out of gear.

about to go to work now, gonna see if things stay like they are or get better.

Quick Reply: having clutch/transmission issues