Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is there suppose to be a rubber seal under the lid of the master cylinder reservoir?

Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there suppose to be a rubber seal under the lid of the master cylinder reservoir?

Title says it. I pulled the lid off of the master cylinder to find no kind of gasket under it. I find this odd because most every other brake or clutch system I have worked on had some sort of gasket under the lid. If it is suppose to have one, where can I find a replacement?

I just installed the Tick master cylinder and was sad to find it required me to reuse my existing reservoir. I had hoped it would come with a new one that would have a gasket.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, there should be a little rubber piece under the cap. Its hard to describe its shape...almost like cone shape with a rounded bottom? They are pretty crappy however, and tend to not stick to the cap.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Any idea where I can buy one?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It is not sold separately, GM sells the reservoir only with a new clutch master cylinder, maybe in a junkyard you can get only the reservoir or perhaps the want to buy section in the classifieds.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Thanks lizeec. Why didn't I think to check the scrap yard?!?! Next time I am out there I will ****** one. I am sure it is the same chunk of rubber on a lot of GM cars.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

No problem, the reason I knew that is I needed the whole reservoir for a swap and that is when I found out you have to buy the whole clutch master with lines and reservoir from the dealer.

I looked in a few junk yards here in Texas and the ones I found were sun baked and cracked, you might have better luck here on the "want to buy" forum as it is not a highly sought after part and somebody probably has a couple laying on their workbench. Only when you need a part is when you can't find one and them when you don't need it anymore you end up seeing them everywhere and a lot cheaper than what you paid for it when you had to have it, that's how my luck is anyhow. Good Luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there suppose to be a rubber seal under the lid of the master cylinder reservoir?