Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Engine swap to LS7, clutch changes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap to LS7, clutch changes?

Hi
first time poster here, but long time lurker.

I've been running a worked-on Small Block Chevrolet 383 in a TVR Tuscan Challenge race car chassis for a few years now, but after the 3rd engine grenading itself I'm changing to an LS7...at least an LS7 block being built up right now with lots of goodies. Folks running SBCs and LS motors aren't too common here in Scotland to I welcome your advice.

The current SBC was dyno'd at 500HP and the car weights in at about 1000Kg (so 2200Lbs?) and is used mainly on track running slicks (when it's dry!) but it is road registered here

The LS7 is being built with the aim of making something like 575hp The current transmission setup is a Lakewood SFI bellhousing, McLeod Magnum Force clutch, McLeod Hydraulic Throw-Out Bearing and a Tremec TKO600 box.

My original plan was just to change the flywheel and swap the Lakewood bellhousing for something lighter - with the LS vs SBC and a lighter bellhousing I guessed I could maybe knock 50Kg off the weight of the car, which is 5% in my case.

But having taken things apart I see the McLeod release bearing is weeping again (this is the secind one that's leaked) so that's going to get changed, and even keeping the Mag Force clutch the new flywheel is over $600 plus freight, tax and duty to me. What I do have is a standard LS7 flywheel and clutch. The clutch is definitely too big and heavy for my needs, but the flywheel could maybe be reused?

So the only things that are being kept for sure is the TKO600 and the LS7. Everything else is up for change but in my list of posisbly re-usable parts I have the Mag Force clutch less flywheel, and a standard flywheel.

So what do you good folks suggest? I want the smallest bellhousing possible but I don't have room for a rear-mounted starter in the chassis. This is a track car not a drag racer so I don't plan on using a scatter shield again. The McLeod Mag Force clutch works fine - real loud when disengaged and zero modulation, but for what I use the car for it's not an issue. But there's a price penalty in retaining it to get the proper replacement flywheel so I'd look at an alternative, maybe even using the standard flywheel...but it looks a heavy old thing. I won't touch a McLeod throw-out beairng again - I'm thinking Tilton or Quartermaster?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine swap to LS7, clutch changes?