Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans issue? noise rattle from under shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Exclamation Trans issue? noise rattle from under shifter

this is a repost from gear/axle sections cause I want some advice from the transmission pros

heres the problem;

I did some heavy accelation on crappy/old/cracked/destroyed pavement, under nitrous...

Right after it, there is a loud tok/tok cliunking noise when decelarating coming from under the shifter (vibration). The car can accelerate fine(I can clearly feel vibrations though) and cruise around 1800rpm without too much problem, but that sound comes back hard, like if it was coming from the driving shaft to the tranny.

The car shifts fine, and going in reverse at low speed doesnt make any sound. In first though, it shifts alright, but the rattle noise is right there, especially noisy at lower speed and in neutral when decelerating..

I took out the DS and nothing looks bad on it.

I noticed the ORY is kinda loose and the U Clamps holding the catback to ORY is very close to the DS, I dont know if the DS could be hitting the U clamp when not acceleration...

I checked under the car, trans/torq arm mount and trans/torq support(new) looks very good and tight.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Update, my rear end gears just broke...new gear/pinion/bearing kit and the DS had to be balanced and was bent a bit I was told...

Quick Reply: Trans issue? noise rattle from under shifter