Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse Lock Out Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reverse Lock Out Question

I have completely gutted the car and gone to Carb & Crank Trigger. All wiring was taken out of the car and rewired just the systems needed. I've put it all back together & now the question is getting the car in reverse. The T-56 has the reverse lockout solonoid on it. Do I need it? Can I get the car in reverse without it. (I haven't tried that yet). If I need it how would anybody suggest I wire this. Thanks in advance for any advice that any of you can give me.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Teching In

where does the pink and green wire off the lock out go? do you just wire it to the wire's coming from ecu, light green #44 red plug, and pink #19 blue plug?

my ls1 240sx came not wired i hate that it can grind gears
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

it will take two hands to get it in gear without it hooked up

there's a thread on here somewhere where someone modded it and decreased the pressure so it still has some resistance but doesn't need to be wired

you can also just run the power wire to the brake light switch so you can only go into reverse when you're on the brake
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
it will take two hands to get it in gear without it hooked up

there's a thread on here somewhere where someone modded it and decreased the pressure so it still has some resistance but doesn't need to be wired

you can also just run the power wire to the brake light switch so you can only go into reverse when you're on the brake
My personal opinion is I would simply hook it to my brake lights....that way you push on the brakes to trigger it.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Launching!

what wire or wires would u wire to the brake switch for this?would like to possibly do this also to mine
Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I highly recommend one of these:

http://www.samocoind.com/T56MODULE.html
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970 LSCamaro
My personal opinion is I would simply hook it to my brake lights....that way you push on the brakes to trigger it.
^^^, what I did but on another car.

just probe wires coming of brake pedal switch for +12v when pedal is pushed and just wire to reverse lock out.

on the 94-97 T56 you can just eliminate the reverse lock out solonoid and put a plate over that hole. Not sure what year T56 you have. without RLO you can buzz reverse when slaming into 5th...which is not good but people do run without the solonoid
Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970 LSCamaro
The problem I see with this method is that every time you hit the brake pedal you are activating the reverse lockout solenoid unnecessarily, what about when you are at a long stop light? I would guess eventually it would burn out the reverse lockout solenoid as it will be activated for longer periods than intended?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

i used a plug from hurst driveline conversions and eliminated the solenoid altogether and went one step further and got rid of reverse syncro's so it can't go in reverse unless at a dead stop.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
The problem I see with this method is that every time you hit the brake pedal you are activating the reverse lockout solenoid unnecessarily, what about when you are at a long stop light? I would guess eventually it would burn out the reverse lockout solenoid as it will be activated for longer periods than intended?
"stock" M6 cars PCM commands reverse lock out to open at speeds under 3mph which means it is open when stopped weather foot is on brake or not.

I have had mine wired to brake wiring since 2005 with absolutely no issues. By pratice I always have my foot on brake when puting in reverse anyway
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
I highly recommend one of these:

http://www.samocoind.com/T56MODULE.html
Thanks Jim, This looks like the way to go. T

Quick Reply: Reverse Lock Out Question