Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wierd T56 noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd T56 noises

Hey i need some fst help on this one guys, I just did a clutch swap and before I designate the clutch let me just say first that it is an unsprung hub triple disc. Wierd thing though is that it runs fine when going up and down through the gears, but when you select a gear you think you should be in after coasting for a period, there is a grinding sound as you accelerate and its worse with more throttle. It goes into the gear just fine , but as you accelerate again there is an aweful noise that sounds almost like the driveshaft it rubbing something, or extremely fast header slap, and I feel it clearly in the shifter. Other wise the thing is awesome and Im really stumped on this one. I hope the trans is fine. It has quite a few miles on it. Any suggestions would be great. Every now and then I feel the grind in first right as I start from a stop but its very short and almost feels like a harmonic or something. The grinding in the other gears will also dissipate as I speed up unless its very sever in which case I change gears and try again. Thanks for any help guys. Questions welcome!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Car?
Engine?
Flywheel?
Clutch?
What measurements did you take before installing the clutch?
Did you do the basic slave shim measurement test?

First thing that comes to mind is the throwout bearing being pre-loaded.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmd
Car?
Engine?
Flywheel?
Clutch?
What measurements did you take before installing the clutch?
Did you do the basic slave shim measurement test?

First thing that comes to mind is the throwout bearing being pre-loaded.
1998 Camaro
LS1 Cam only full bolt on
Flexplate to crank it
5.5 inch triple disc clutch (button flywheel)
Measured out .109" for TO bearing clearance using a Quartermaster Tri-lite Spec is .100"-.150"
Little tight I know but it fell with in the range. I did it 3 times and came out within 2 or 3 thou every time
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Driving it this morning it seems as if it is just a harmonic vibration. ONly lasts from 1000 to 1500 rpm in each gear. Otherwise runs quiet and great. I did notice a little more chatter from the trans as well as idle in neutral, but it seems like that is only due to the lack of rotating mass and a solid hub. Or so I assume
Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else have any thoughts on this. I know what it is but I dont know how concerned I should be or how to fix it?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
Driving it this morning it seems as if it is just a harmonic vibration. ONly lasts from 1000 to 1500 rpm in each gear.
Does it sound like a loud rattle under load until it gets out of those rpms? If so, I am getting this noise too. Only happens when you come out of a corner or take off from a stop and don't go into a low enough gear to stay out of that rpm range. From what I understand it is normal. I wouldn't describe it as a grinding noise, more like a rattle. Sound similar to what you have?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

yeah it seems like a harmonic vibration only in that small window. I know its not grinding but it sounds aweful and shakes the car.

Quick Reply: Wierd T56 noises