Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

something is wrong with my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default something is wrong with my clutch

2 nights ago i go to drive it and i do a 3 point turn to turn around on my street, on the second point (where i put it into reverse) it wont go in to gear. i play with it a little and it wouldnt do anything so i took my foot off the clutch and was going to try again from scratch. then i noticed the clutch was still on the floor. i picked it up with my foot. pressed it in again and put it in reverse (this time just to park it). then when i go to put it into drive to pull up into my spot it stalls. fire it back up and pull up and shut it down for the night.

next day i go to check the cutch fluid, its right where it should be, a hair below that little lip on the resivour. i said ok ill take it out for a spin. no problems at all. come back home and a couple hours later i go to take it out again and the pedal is soft again, goes to the floor and wont come back up. when it does it will come about a third of the way, and then pause and then comes up all the way very slowly. also i noticed when this is happening, the clutch engages at about a third of the throw off the floor, instead of like a inch-2 inches from the top of the throw like it normally does. another thing i noticed is if im stopped and have it in gear with the clutch pressed in, the rpms will drop and it will stall out after about 7-10 seconds.

so whats my problem? do i have a burnt out clutch?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like you clutch master cylinder has went bad
Old 09-02-2012, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

ok so im looking at master clutch cylinders on ws6project.com are the higher performance ones worth the money? tick performance makes one for 325 that says it eliminated the need for the "drill mod" because it says the hydraulic line is unrestricted and heat wrapped. mcleod makes one for 330 that says it is better flowing. and then there is the regular one from GM for 180. and then duralast makes one sold thru autozone for only 70 bucks. are the ones from tick and mcleod really worth the money?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes get the tick it is worth every penny!

Quick Reply: something is wrong with my clutch