Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls3 swapped trans am......what clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls3 swapped trans am......what clutch?

I have a cammed full exhaust ls3 in my t/a. I need a clutch.....

What do u guys recommend? Wont be doing much drag or autoxing just more of a street driver.

Searched but couldn't get many opinions.

Thanks for he help!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Spec! Made in the usa and shipped the same week.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Which model do you have? Price?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a ls7 clutch will be enough to hold you for your needs and it drives great on the street
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No way I'd put an ls7 clutch in a cammed ls3 t/a. The limits of that clutch are right around 460whp give or take plus the t/a is much heavier than the z06 it was designed for. It may hold for a while but I wouldnt give it long. OP I'd suggest something in the range of a monster level 2 or 3 do a search on here they have a great reputation, my buddy has a stage 3 and loves it and I will be going with a 2 in the future.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
No way I'd put an ls7 clutch in a cammed ls3 t/a. The limits of that clutch are right around 460whp give or take plus the t/a is much heavier than the z06 it was designed for. It may hold for a while but I wouldnt give it long. OP I'd suggest something in the range of a monster level 2 or 3 do a search on here they have a great reputation, my buddy has a stage 3 and loves it and I will be going with a 2 in the future.
Spot on!!! To the OP check out or level 2. They are rated at 550 rwhp/tq and drive like a stock clutch with a slightly stiffer pedal. Plus it will give you some room to grow into. Also our level three would be a good choice if a power adder was to be in the works. They are rated at 700 rwhp/tq. Keep in mind our clutches do come with a 1 year warranty and un-matched customer service!!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

an ls7 will hold him no problem he said it was not going to be drag raced or auto crossed it was a street car and the cluch will still hold the track outing if he desides to run it plus the street mannors of the clutch are great i dont feel that there is any other clutch that drives as good as a ls7 that will handle the abuse that i have put mine through and snl im still waiting to hear back from you on your challenge or have you backed out after calling me out
Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM
FormerVendor

Backdraft, thanks for the reference and support.

LS1/SRT, the LS3 and an exhaust would be well within the capacity of our Stage 1. This kit will provide great drivability and plenty of capacity too. Give me a shout and I will be happy to get you setup. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dodson55
an ls7 will hold him no problem he said it was not going to be drag raced or auto crossed it was a street car and the cluch will still hold the track outing if he desides to run it plus the street mannors of the clutch are great i dont feel that there is any other clutch that drives as good as a ls7 that will handle the abuse that i have put mine through and snl im still waiting to hear back from you on your challenge or have you backed out after calling me out
again you are most likely the exception not the rule. there a plenty of guys in c6's that burn that clutch on bolt ons all of which whose cars are lighter than an fbody. mnot calling you a liar by any means im sure yours is holding but again its most likely an exception. for a bolt on car i'd go ls7 all day but with a cammed ls3 making much more tq and power than a H/C ls1 i want something I can trust day to day. although i must say i am very interested in seeing that challenge happen with monster.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodson55
Didn't back out at all, last Saturday we had a dyno day at the performance shop and was busy as hell. We're still playing catch up!

I'll be calling you today/tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1/srt
Which model do you have? Price?
i have the spec2 clutch in a 408 making 500+ to the ground. I cant remember how much i paid but i also bought their flywheel but it was still a very good price. i have never had a problem with it and on the street the clutch is great.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by backdraft408
i have the spec2 clutch in a 408 making 500+ to the ground. I cant remember how much i paid but i also bought their flywheel but it was still a very good price. i have never had a problem with it and on the street the clutch is great.
How would you describe the pedal feel/engagement/release of that clutch to the op?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
How would you describe the pedal feel/engagement/release of that clutch to the op?
feels better than stock, engagement is easy and smooth, release is perfect...but it also helps that i have your master cylinder. probably one of my best buys
Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by backdraft408
feels better than stock, engagement is easy and smooth, release is perfect...but it also helps that i have your master cylinder. probably one of my best buys
A+ description!

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Didn't back out at all, last Saturday we had a dyno day at the performance shop and was busy as hell. We're still playing catch up!

I'll be calling you today/tomorrow.
ok ill be waiting
Old 11-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

My car came with a tick master. So I will have to adjust it properly for install.

I ended up going with a twin disc level 1 from monster while they had their sale. I plan on a power adder in the future so I sprung for the better clutch.

I will give my 2 pennies once I get it installed.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

Twin disc monster level 2 is excellent! I went from tick master to a stocker as recommended by snl. Thing drives great! Has excellent engagement and has held up easily to the power. Pedal is near stock weight. Clutch is super pricey, but driving nearly 500rwhp with this light *** pedal in LA traffic..... No problem!

Quick Reply: Ls3 swapped trans am......what clutch?