Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod RST mystery problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mcleod RST mystery problem...

I am stationed at Ft. Bliss, Tx (Elpaso)

I curently have a 2001 Z28 with a T56; installed with a Mcleod RST Dual Disc kit, Mcleod Slave Cylinder Billet 1373 and Mcleod Master Cylinder. I have put roughly 5,000 miles (over the past year and a half) on the transmission with this setup. I have had it down the track about 20 times since installing it. however it has been 6 months since I have been to the track. So with minimal abuse, the clutch has been treated fairly decently.

Here is the problem.

While at low speeds the clutch tends to slip slightly then engage at steady speeds, after you begin to slowly accelerate it begins to slightly slip again. However, at high speeds(under heavy load) the clutch is completly locked in and there is no slip at all. I can burn out, I can shift hard and drop gears and go from a roll with no problem. It is only when I am under a light load in everyday use.

I called several transmission shops and no one is familiar with the Mcleod clutch. I called Mcleod and they are baffled by this problem.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there any one in my area who can help me work on my clutch or inform me of a trustworthy shop I could take it to?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it no body has a clue as well?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Take it apart and start looking. Make sure all the bolts are tight and none backed-off. Mcleod Slave Cylinders have a length adjustable throw-out bearing so measure it again: http://www.mcleodracing.com/info/?id=5260
Old 09-01-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry I'm no help to you, but I have lived in El Paso all my life and I do not know of any shop I would trust in this town with performance repairs, especially on Dyer st. as I see you are in the military. I have a LS2 & T56 in my car. Now if you need some advice on tacos or burritos you are in the right town. We do have some great Mexican food here.

Last edited by lizeec; 09-01-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard and personally seen nothing but bad things with the McLeod slave cylinders. I would start with that. Wouldn't make sense, since it's only under light speeds where you're experiencing issues, but who knows.

Quick Reply: Mcleod RST mystery problem...