Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 or tko

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 or tko

im swapping ls motor and 6 speed into a 69 camaro and im wondering what is the better way to go for the transmission. I can get a kit from hurst driveline conversion for $$$$$$ or get one out of a junkyard car for much cheaper. my question is how much difference in the two is there and which one would be easier to install. and its an automatic car now
Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

Two totally different animals. The Tremec TKO will fit a little better but the T56 is a superior unit especially when built with upgraded stuff.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
Two totally different animals. The Tremec TKO will fit a little better but the T56 is a superior unit especially when built with upgraded stuff.
Superior?? No I don't think so...

They both have their flaws and like you said they can be upgraded/built to suite your needs

Each has their place...I had a T56 in my 1978 camaro and I had to cut into the floor support brace to make it fit. The TKO fit in the car a little better.

The TKO 600 does have a power shifting issues from 2nd to 3rd, but that can be fixed or not an issue if you not drag racing it.

I would get the T56 Magnum if I had to do it again, but its more money. I wouldnt waste the coin on an OEM T56

Honestly...unless you get the .50 6th overdrive, 6th gear is useless. My vote is Magnum T56 than TKO 600 than OEM T56
Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

T56 magnum > T56 > TKO

In stock form, the TKO sucks. It shifts like a truck, the front case is prone to break the ears, the fork pads are thin as hell, the engaugement teeth on the sliders are very small and unforgiving. If you want to spend the money and change out the syncro rings and shift finger, you'll have a decent box but its going to cost you a chunk of cash as well.

The T56 Magnum is a nice unit but it too has very small engaugement teeth making it very unforgiving to miss shifts or improper clutch operations. Other than it, its pretty decent.

The T56 is a decent unit in stock from but is known to give issues with the 3-4 shift fork along with the 3-4 shift keys.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People who force transmissions on the bellhousing with the bolts break the ears off...I have seen it with Muncies, T-10s, Keislers RS, and TKO....Some people shouldnt work on cars.

Comparing my TKO to the T56 I had...Shifting was about the same...I know parts on the TKO may be thin or what ever, I don't know...But I beat on mine and it holds up fine as it should with the 600ftlb rating...

I wouldn't get so caught up on whats inside, if the unit performs. I feel the same way about the LS engine...People brag about 6 bolt mains even though nobody mentions they are like 8mm bolts! Compared to the larger 4 bolt main of the SBC...Same can be said for the rockers..another small 8mm bolt...But it works and holds up...The T56 require you to butcher an old car (atleast on my 78 Camaro).

Magnum may be better...I wouldnt do another OEM T56 in a classic car.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

The T56 and Magnum do require some work to install older chassis vehicles.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Alright. Well I'm not drag racing and am sure the tremec tko is tough enough for my 350. I was more worried about modifications to my car to install them. Sounds hurst drivelines tko is the one. Thanks

Quick Reply: t56 or tko