Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Why are the Pucks on the disc of my Monster clutch are worn down to the rivets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why are the Pucks on the disc of my Monster clutch are worn down to the rivets?

Ok this may have nothing to do with Monster Clutches ..I actually want to order another one now...but.... The clutch I have / had now is a level 4 Monster clutch...up to 700/hp & tq , I only make 470rwhp all motor off of my Ls1 with stock bottom end and clutch has been in there for 2yrs. But only about 17k miles!

Prior to that I had a Textralia Clutch for about 2yrs too and the pucks were worn to the rivets too! that had about 30k miles on it.

My car up too the last few months was a daily driver, during the last 4 yrs saw the track only twice. I used to have to go through alot of stop n go city type traffic, and yes on a long empty back road or down a lonely freeway and on the street I would OPEN it up and let it rip I had to go out of town occasionally and right there was another 400-500 mile trip ..etc

I don't know why these pucks on these high rated clutches keep wearing down so fast.... or is that normal?? Is it my driving style....maybe something I'm doing wrong??

thanks in advance for any input
Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZetaVeinteOcho
Ok this may have nothing to do with Monster Clutches ..I actually want to order another one now...but.... The clutch I have / had now is a level 4 Monster clutch...up to 700/hp & tq , I only make 470rwhp all motor off of my Ls1 with stock bottom end and clutch has been in there for 2yrs. But only about 17k miles!

Prior to that I had a Textralia Clutch for about 2yrs too and the pucks were worn to the rivets too! that had about 30k miles on it.

My car up too the last few months was a daily driver, during the last 4 yrs saw the track only twice. I used to have to go through alot of stop n go city type traffic, and yes on a long empty back road or down a lonely freeway and on the street I would OPEN it up and let it rip I had to go out of town occasionally and right there was another 400-500 mile trip ..etc

I don't know why these pucks on these high rated clutches keep wearing down so fast.... or is that normal?? Is it my driving style....maybe something I'm doing wrong??

thanks in advance for any input
First and foremost the pucks on our clutches appear to be thin from the factory, this is due to the very dense nature of this material. What is the overall thickness of your disc? It may appear worn out but it may not be.

Shoot me an email to steve@monsterclutches.com, we'll go from there.

FYI - Because you're an existing customer you can purchase individual parts from us, no need to buy and entire kit.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Edit: what Steve said!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys... I am emailing now.

And to add, I am very happy with my clutch, as a matter of fact in this case as with the Textralia, the only reason why I changed them is NOT because the clutches were bad, its because the mechanic was down there doing something else like swapping my transmission and now we are doing an engine swap... and each time we happen to look and they seemed worn, so it wasn't because the clutch was actually bad.

But I am getting with SNL right now.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Ok the mechanic just said something about the guide bolts are digging into the flywheel, or maybe it was the disc with the pucks...well one of the two so its causing wear.... any ideas on that?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

How does the flywheel look?

Quick Reply: Why are the Pucks on the disc of my Monster clutch are worn down to the rivets?