Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what makes aftermarket shifter better than factory?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what makes aftermarket shifter better than factory?

ok this may be a strange question or even silly. I have a T56 all I know about the shifter is what I saw when I removed it and have not looked at aftermarket ones. Since these transmissions shift or have all the shift parts internal I didnt know how or why the others would make them better. the factory or stock one is just a shifter with a "ball" on the end to move the internal parts.
I dont need to get into which ones are better but you can give your thoughts also I was just wondering if they are worth the expense and changes?
Mine is swapped into my 1968 chevy pickup and I may need to lengthen my shift lever and didnt know what I might gain with the changes.
Thanks
Dave
Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of it is in the internal construction. Higher quality parts and springs to improve shift feel and travel. Some have integral stops that keep you from overshifting the transmission. The T-56 has aluminum shift forks that can be damaged by overshifting. Summer 2003 I had my transmission get stuck in 4th, managed to get it out, and it has been fine since. Went with a Hurst Billet Plus with integral stops to hedge against overshifting again.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't fool yourself on the false confidence shift stops "sell". T56s have a guideplate that controls linkage travel. Getting stuck in gear is caused by clash- shifting and damaging forks to where they "wallow" . This allows overtravel / sticking in gear . Your shifter design will do nothing to prevent this. Your 4th gear sticking is best solved with the optional iron fork and solid/ billet struts/ incerts. Strapping on a $300 shifter does little more than lighten your wallet.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I did this swap into my truck and may need or want to add some length to the shifter. I am going to use it for a while but didnt know if I would gain what I might loose with the extra length with a different shifter. There does not seem to be much to them so I didnt know what they do.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

find some one in your area w/ an aftermarket shifter to let you try theirs out they offer mostly just a different feel.

-also they make iron shift forks calhoon? I've got billet forks but have never heard of iron being offered. if so which material is better iron? just out of curiosity..
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe he meant the steel 3/4 upgrade from the aluminum piece. I could be wrong though.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I was talking about the upgrade fork and it is cast iron.

Quick Reply: what makes aftermarket shifter better than factory?