Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch - too much conflicting info, please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Clutch - too much conflicting info, please help

So my stock 02 WS6 clutch is grabbing really high and I would like to replace it before it starts slipping. I just bought the car and have only put a few hundred miles on it. Mileage is 31K so I dunno what the guy before me was doing but oh well. The prblem is is that there is a lot of conflicting info on here and so many people with horror stories about cluthces, flywheels, hydraulics etc. Considering the car is so new and stock, I would like to tinker with as little as possible. I was thinking about just getting a clutch kit and not even taking the flywheel out of the car. I did this with a 5.0 Mustang a few years back and didnt have an issue. I forget the name of the manufacturer, but it was a pretty cheap performance clutch and it was nice. No slip issues, easy to modulate and grabby as hell if you wanted it to be. It would chrip the tires downshifting into 3rd and 2nd if you just let it out real quick, I loved that. So thoughts on leaving the flywheel alone?????? I know you arent supposed to just leave it there, but again I have done this before with no issues. I just shelled out a boat load of money for this thing so I am trying to be cheap. I think its OK, anyone else just do a clutch slap on one of these things?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

done it before on an LT1 car and a V6 car... not an LS1, but I wouldn't see it being a major issue as long as the flywheel looks good. i.e. no rough spots, no hot spots, no warpage.

I wouldn't be too worried about it needing a clutch at that mileage... a friend of mine had an 01 SS that he rarely beat on (no track passes, but he did play with it so it did see some high RPM, just nothing I would consider beating on a clutch), it got a new clutch at 28K and it was actually slipping already.

That said.. I replaced my clutch in my current car with a stage 3 monster and their lightweight flywheel... I wouldn't go back to anything else ever lol. There is a odd chirpy noise that I've heard described as geese on take-off if you haven't beat on the clutch lately though. My only complaint after 30K of DD use and 5K of weekend only use (which is always harsh isn't it? LOL)... so NO REAL complaints cause it still grabs as hard as it did the day it was installed, and as you mentioned it will break the rear end loose on a 3-2 downshift (did this morning on me in fact) if you're a bit too quick and not rev matched just right.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Tiger. It not being an issue is kind of my gut feeling too. I think sometimes people get obsessive with these thing on the forums. I'm leaning towards just doing the slap. And if I dont change the flywheel I think it would be best to get a new clutch in BEFORE the old one starts slipping so I dont roast the flywheel. Plus the fact that it is grabbing so high drives me nuts, it just sucks the enjoyment out of driving it because all I am thinking when I drive is "OMG is my clutch OK?" (Im a little obsessive too I guess) I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'm gonna see if I kept the receipt for that 5.0 clutch I bought. Like I said, I remember it being pretty cheap and it felt good. I would like to know how many people have done this.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Resurface stock flywheel, look into RAM clutches or Diamond stage 1/2. Whats your clutch fluid look like?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

Havent checked the fluid. Pretty dumb on my part huh? About the flywheel - some people say GM clearly states you can not resurface these flyewheels, some people say you can. Some say it needs to be balnced, others say it doesnt. And no matter what comination or scenario you might be talking about there are 100 guys saying it worked great and 10 guys saying it was a nightmare. There are just no cleat answers. Even people with new flywheels have problems. I just want to keep it as simple as possible. The car is pristine - I just want to get in there, slap a new kit in and get out while touching as little as possible. I'm a little PO'd that it even appears to need a clutch. I bought my 5.0 with 40K on it, put another 100K on it and THEN it needed a clutch.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

If you can find a place to look up the specifications for the flywheel you can use a dial indicator to measure and be positive of whether or not you need to mess with the flywheel. Once you get a look at it the flywheel could appear perfectly fine but if you measure it you might see that it's out of spec for thickness or thickness variation, and it could cause a new clutch to wear prematurely.
Not saying your flywheel will definitely need to come off, but it's best to make some actual measurements so you have hard data supporting/refuting what you're planning.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:33 PM

Default New clutch @ 30k?

You think you need a new clutch @ 30k? Dude that doesn't sound right. I'm approaching 200k on my Camaro, factory clutch grips no problem.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We have several entry level clutches from Monster, Spec, Centerforce, Mcleod, GM, Katech and others.

As others have said you can re-use your stock flywheel if it is good condition still and isn't in need of resurfacing.

Feel free to give us a call or e-mail to discuss your needs.

Quick Reply: Clutch - too much conflicting info, please help