Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Beefing up the T56

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beefing up the T56

Over the up and coming winter I plan on strenghting up the M6 in my 2000 SS, I'm hoping to run high 11's on motor and add up to a 150 shot later down the road.

What parts with in the trans should I look at replacing/strenghting and does anyone sell a upgrade kit?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:05 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

We actually design all our own upgraded T56 parts, and have them CNC-machined locally. Here's a list of the items we upgrade:
(1) Hardened bronze shift fork pads for the 1-2 shift fork and 3-4 shift fork. This is not conventional bronze as its 5x harder. Replaces the stock plastic pads.
(2) Bronze shifter cup bushing. Same material as the 1-4 pads, listed above.
(3) Billet keys for 1-2 and 3-4. These keys are CNC-machined from chromoly alloy, which is virtually impossible to break. Replaces the stock stamped steel keys that tend to break.
(4) Steel 3-4 shift fork. Replaces the stock aluminum fork. This will give you much more rigidity.
(5) Re-machine the mainshaft 5/6 journals. This is a "fix" for the notorious problem with the 5/6 cluster gear working loose on the mainshaft. Its a poor design from the factory that allows the gear to wobble and can cause high speed vibration issues. Can also destroy the splines on the mainshaft and strip out the 5/6 gear completely, in the worst case. This "fix" will eliminate this problem all together.
$425 for everything listed above. Mainshafts are done on an exchange basis. Of course, if you send the trans in to us for the build, the Stg1 basic build is $275 labor & $300 parts. Add this to the upgrades and theres your price. Add'l gears or other non-wear items will cost more, if needed.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

I live in Newfoundland Cananda, so I'd like to avoid shipping the trans. I would like to make it bullet proof..would the $425 above^^^ cover that?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about the fork pads...the stock nylon pads will not 'dig in' to the sychronizer like the bronze pads inducing quicker wear on both the pads and the exterior sychro assembly...I could be mistaken but bronze cannot have less give than nylon..

3-4 steel fork is a good idea...I had one installed last year, no difference in feel but at least i know it won't bend.

I want to try carbon rings as it sounds like it would be a worth while mod. would also improve shifting charactersitics

i'm in Canada too and it bothers me that i would have to ship my tranny for upgrades...not many shops specialize in the T56 up here and if they can do the work, they will ask for your limbs. I hope you have good insurance
Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

I can't comment on any improvement from CF blocker rings as I had so many things done I couldn't tell you what feel was from what. that seems like a damn good price TDP has for that list of upgrades though! I'd also suggest gettin everything cryo treated since your in there..then again I might of gone over board on mine cause I plan on keeping my car for ever and would like to never have to touch it again if possible
Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Justin Gibbons
I live in Newfoundland Cananda, so I'd like to avoid shipping the trans. I would like to make it bullet proof..would the $425 above^^^ cover that?
This guy is in Canada and rebuilds them http://www.myfirehawk.ca/
Old 09-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Launching!

^^^good call..if nothing else, you could contact him for advice.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Billet slider keys and steel 3/4 shift fork is a must.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're shopping around for prices on the parts you would need feel free to give us a call. We carry all the parts you would need to upgrade your transmission in stock on the shelf.

Quick Reply: Beefing up the T56