Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELLLP. M6 99 z28 hard to get into first, grinds pops out of reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

synchros are bad or you need a better master cylinder (tick adj.) ... I just had to order mine because the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch as too stiff for the factory master to disengage enough to get into reverse, and 1st hung up pretty bad. High RPM shifting was horrific.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My Camaro did this when I first bought it.

You will need to get it rebuilt! The problem with getting into Reverse and first is an internal problem. If it was just the clutch or Master cylinder you would have problems getting into every gear.

I got the parts and accessories from Trick Performance for the Stage 2 Viper build and had a local Transmission mechanic of mine remove and replace the parts. You can also send your transmission off to Tick Performance and they will do all of it for you. Just depends on your budget! The Tick performance Clutch Master Cylinder is HIGHLY recommended. The factory GM CMC is defective and will cause your clutch to wear out.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When reverse pops out it's one of two things or both: the gear and/or syncro assembly teeth are worn or the fork pads are disintegrated meaning the ring isn't fully engaging.

I just got done rebuilding my transmission and I had lost the ability to use second due to the syncro cone material dis-bonding from the metal and reverse would pop out.

For reverse, the previous person to work on the trans had put the 5/6 & reverse section back together wrong and it wore into some of the parts. The syncro teeth on my 5th, 6th rev gears and syncro assemblies were all toast. For second I simple had to replace the syncro cone.

I spent over 1k just in parts but I had to get a new main shaft, 5/6 driven, 5th, 6th reverse gears. 5/6 syncros and reverse syncros and a mess of other parts all needed to be replaced. Yours may not be as bad as mines but you'll never know until you get into the case.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Question Tranzilla installed, tranny was FUBAR. $3200..sigh

well, after a month, and $3204.76. New transmission was needed. the old one was so badly damaged the shop said it wasnt worth rebuilding. chunks inside, blocker rings rounded off (all of em), basically it was a total loss. What i ended up doing was putting in a Rockland Standard "Tranzilla" remanufactured t56 with the viper second gear, viper mainshaft, etc, basically good to 600ish ft lbs's.

im curious, anyone ever heard of these transmissions or have you guys used em at all? the shop that put the tranny in didnt know who the tranny was from until i looked under the car and saw the Tranzilla data plate on the tranny with the part number T56-017.

this ones a monster, feels like it has straight cut gears almost like the Jerico trannies they use in road racing. Heel toeing is a lot easier and clutchless upshifts are almost easy....EXCEPT for the fact i still have the stupid stock Master cylinder and ran out of money after spending all this $$ I probably got hosed on this because the trans was $2450 with a 2 year you-cant-kill-it warranty and a Ram clutch and new slave. plus the %6.5 sales tax and the $800they charged to R&R. trans was worth the money but i got killed on the labor obviously so not a whole lot i can do now.

the question is i got no idea what to do about the master cylinder. i would just like to buy a new stock one for $80 or so and try to find someone who can do the drill mod for me. I live about an hour and half away from Slowhawk performance in Bridgewater Ma but i got no idea how to do business with them.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Teching In

crap i figure ill be out 2000 if i have to get it fully rebuilt :/
Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you got it running man. I would just wait and save up for a Tick CMC b/c buying a GM one will just be throwing away money and you'll have to wait all over again.

Btw, Clutchless up shifting is not good for any transmission. Including dog geared and faceplated transmissions!!

From Tick Shift and Liberty gears! "Dog Gears and faceplating do not make your transmission clutchless, the shock load from shifting without utilizing the clutch will cause severe damage to your transmission!"

Quick Reply: HELLLP. M6 99 z28 hard to get into first, grinds pops out of reverse.