Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M12 rebuilt, now has issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M12 rebuilt, now has issues

So I had a shop rebuild my transmission in my 02 Z with the Tick Performance level 3 extreme Viper rebuild kit. Now I can't get it into 5th gear unless I sit there and jiggle it and it will finally work itself in and fall right in. Car running or not.

Also it grinds if I downshift into 3rd anywhere above 40 mph. This is only on the down shifts. I can run it 1st-4th no problem. 6th is also no problem.

I had a new stage 3 Monster clutch installed only a couple thousand miles ago with new master and slave cylinders. After talking with Tick Performance they recommended I bleed the clutch in case there was air in the lines. Well I bled through about 20oz and still no change.

Has anyone else experienced this or is this just another case in my string of bad luck with cars and needs to go back to the shop so they can fix this issue?

Oh and the transmission whines under light acceleration.

Any input appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's not your problem, it's theirs. Drop off the car if they serviced the R&R or talk to them beforehand so they have an opportunity to test-drive it and then drop off the trans. if you did the R&R.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had them do ALL the work for the fact that if something did happen they would stand behind their work. The main problem is the shop is 7hrs away. They new of the problem before I left with the car and they said give it a few hundred brake in miles and if it doesn't help then they would come get it and take it back to their shop.

I have one more thing I'm going to try a member on the corvette forum suggested and that's making sure the shifter pin is there and everything's aligned. The shop should've done this to begin with buy given the distance I'm going to check it myself.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Update: It has been a very long, stressful and drawn out process but we finally got the problem fixed!

The whine was caused by the rear diff fluid cross contaminating into the transmission, leaving the rear end dry so naturally it got hot. Basically they re-rebuilt everything in the transmission and also the rear end. Every bearing, gear, seal, the ring and pinion, etc, was replaced and now she shifts like a dream and no more whine!

Quick Reply: M12 rebuilt, now has issues