Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

weight differences between clutches

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weight differences between clutches

I am in the market for a new clutch, and would like to know what the total rotational mass (flywheel, disk/disks, and pressure plate) is of 3 different ones. I wrote Tbyrne and asked them since they sell all three of the ones I am considering but they did not have that information. So do any of you guys/gals know the total weight of either a Spec stage 3 with the billet steel flywheel and x-pad, or the McLeod twin with the steel flywheel, or the McLeod twin with the aluminum flywheel. If the McLeod with the steel flywheel is the same or real close to the Spec with the lightened billet flywheel then I think my decision will be made. However, I have a feeling that the McLeod with dual disk and an extra steel and steel flywheel may be considerably heavier. If that is the case then a twin with the aluminum f/w would be required to avoid adding additional weight to the rotating assembly. I know there have been numerous discussions on this board as well as others about the adverse effects of an aluminum flywheel on a street car, but if the dual disk makes up for some of that weight, it seems that those adverse effects would be reduced.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Still no response, if any of you have some good estimates on any of these clutches, or have compared them to the stock clutch, please reply. I will try to contact the clutch manufacturers directly and see if they can get me this info. It would be nice if either one of there sites listed a specification page or technical page that would list things such as dimensions, bolt patterns, torque specs, WEIGHTS, etc., but I could not find that at either website. Thanks to anyone that is able to help.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt
looking 4 this as well
Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 AM
11Second Club

I have a McLeod RXT twin with a billet steel flywheel in the front seat of my truck. It's going to get balanced this afternoon, but I'll have it back tomorrow. PM me tomorrow to remind me, but I'll try to get that done for you.

The McLeod steel flywheel is VERY heavy. I'd say it's as heavy as the LS6 iron flywheel I had. It's much heavier than the steel flywheel that came with my OZ700 clutch.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Talk about bringing a post back from the dead. I had this info, but have forgotten and lost it by now. I ended up going with a the McLeod twin with the aluminum flywheel and weighed it as well as the stock clutch when doing the swap but have since forgotten the results. If memory serve me correctly the twin with the alum flywheel was just slightly lighter than the stock setup.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so far I have

LS7 assembly w/ flywheel 57 lbs (rumored flywheel is 25.5 lbs but not sure)
ls1 flywheel @ 24 lbs
ram aluminum flywheel 18 lbs
yellow terra steel 23.6 lbs
yella terra lt wt 15lbs
fidenza 12.5 lbs

textrailia exoskull (?) 38lbs is what I saw in a post.

would be nice to fins out about exedy clutches as they have aluminum clutch plate housings.

Spec supposedly has light weight clutch housings, but I'm leary of their reliability.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Teching In

McLeod street twin disk with the aluminum flywheel is 38 lbs.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I have a Mcleod single disc and am planning on putting in a Fidanza flywheel. I'll weigh everything when it gets installed.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ram Powergrip with the Ram Billet Steel flywheel was 58 pounds total.

The RPS that replaced it was 37 total (they use an aluminum flywheel).

Quick Reply: weight differences between clutches