Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster/tick level 3.. need help quick..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. I have about 900 miles on my clutch. Installed at the dealership by my friend. Hooked very well for about 400 miles and now if I'm driving and give it gas, it starts slipping pretty bad. Im about to order ram twin disc. Nothing against Monster but wasn't impressed with the clutch. A lot of chatter as well. I will post pictures when I drop the trans. GL
Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fafonfoe
I have the same issue. I have about 900 miles on my clutch. Installed at the dealership by my friend. Hooked very well for about 400 miles and now if I'm driving and give it gas, it starts slipping pretty bad. Im about to order ram twin disc. Nothing against Monster but wasn't impressed with the clutch. A lot of chatter as well. I will post pictures when I drop the trans. GL
I would suggest you get in contact with Steve, I'm sure he will take care of your problem.
what level clutch did you buy? 3 and up are going to have some chatter comes with the territory.

As for my situation, I have the same assumption about the pressure plate.
I work for AAMCO Transmissions, I am a shop foreman basically I do all the driveability and diagnostics for this shop..
I spent my time as an R&R guy also, so I'm no noob when it comes to trans problems. and how to fix them.

I should be able to get my clutch pulled out next week to get some pictures.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fafonfoe
I would agree with T/A2000, you need to contact us and we'll get you handled. There are a ton of things that can lead to slipping, it can be the pressure plate or numerous other things. We have a warranty so my advice is to take advantage of it, if you're not happy we'll change that.

Originally Posted by T/A2000
I would suggest you get in contact with Steve, I'm sure he will take care of your problem.
what level clutch did you buy? 3 and up are going to have some chatter comes with the territory.

As for my situation, I have the same assumption about the pressure plate.
I work for AAMCO Transmissions, I am a shop foreman basically I do all the driveability and diagnostics for this shop..
I spent my time as an R&R guy also, so I'm no noob when it comes to trans problems. and how to fix them.

I should be able to get my clutch pulled out next week to get some pictures.
Let me know when you get the unit out, I'd be interested to see what is going on. We're not human, but very rarely does our pressure plates have issues to the point that the clutch starts slipping. Shoot me an email with pics when you get it out and we'll go from there!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

This is another reason why I recommend Monster to a lot of the h/c/i guys, bolt on guys and cam only guys who are looking for a Level 2 or 3 clutch that haven't really done this type of work or modifications before because Steve is always available to answer questions online here in this forum.

Just having a clear line of communication for service and issues makes a product worth it's weight in gold.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
This is another reason why I recommend Monster to a lot of the h/c/i guys, bolt on guys and cam only guys who are looking for a Level 2 or 3 clutch that haven't really done this type of work or modifications before because Steve is always available to answer questions online here in this forum.

Just having a clear line of communication for service and issues makes a product worth it's weight in gold.
Thanks Martin! Same goes for you guys, when it comes to the hydraulics on these things you all are on the ball!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Banned

I agree, everyone at monster has always been great when I called.
Always available and great help. That's why I ordered my heads,two cams. Clutch and injectors from them. I will call so I can discuss a new clutch setup. I have 480 wrhp now and still have some slipping. I had chatter but did go away.
I will call you guys soon to talk about your twin disc. Keep up the great work.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Thanks Martin! Same goes for you guys, when it comes to the hydraulics on these things you all are on the ball!
No problemo Steve and thanks for the kind words.

I've turned into a sponge since working at Tick as far as the hydraulics/T56 stuff goes.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There are really only a couple of things that will make a clutch slip other than excessive power. 1. Its worn out. 2. The pressure plate is faulty. 3. The flywheel is so worn down the clamp load of the pressure plate is less. 4. The plug at the back of the crank is leaking oil on the clutch disk. 5. There is negative clearance between the throw out bearing when fully seated and the pressure plate fingers.

The Monster clutches usually have plenty of clearance between the tob to pressure plate fingers, so unless you installed a very thick shim you can probably rule that out.

I seen a leaking plug in the back of an eagle crank that we used in a 408 build present these symptoms. The clutch wasn't worn out or damaged....just covered in oil. I've seen these plugs get damaged a few times also when someone who didn't know what they were doing tried to remove the original pilot bearing....the old school way lol.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
There are really only a couple of things that will make a clutch slip other than excessive power. 1. Its worn out. 2. The pressure plate is faulty. 3. The flywheel is so worn down the clamp load of the pressure plate is less. 4. The plug at the back of the crank is leaking oil on the clutch disk. 5. There is negative clearance between the throw out bearing when fully seated and the pressure plate fingers.

The Monster clutches usually have plenty of clearance between the tob to pressure plate fingers, so unless you installed a very thick shim you can probably rule that out.

I seen a leaking plug in the back of an eagle crank that we used in a 408 build present these symptoms. The clutch wasn't worn out or damaged....just covered in oil. I've seen these plugs get damaged a few times also when someone who didn't know what they were doing tried to remove the original pilot bearing....the old school way lol.
I can assure to a lot of concerns here, are not even a possibility. 1, there are no leaks on my car whatsoever.. I am **** about my car. 2, there is plenty of free play before the throw out touches the fingers of the pressure plate.. 3, I didn't use shims. 4, I got a complete clutch kit, Flywheel, Disc, pressure plate, slave and master. it only has 2,500 miles on it, there is no way in the world that this thing wore out that fast.. I have been Driving standard cars since I was old enough to sit behind the wheel on my own..

The car is parked until I have a chance to pull the clutch out of it, its going to be a few weeks. the shop is busy and I don't have the time to deal with this until my house is put back together..

I am almost 100% sure that the cause of this problem is the pressure plate, the last time I drove the car which was the day of my last post..

when I went out to get into the car the pedal was almost as tight as it was the day i put the clutch in, then after 25 min of driving the clutch went soft. and i mean to like a stock level soft.. but It would still hold strong in 1st gear.

But once i would get to 3rd gear at about 3k rpm, the clutch would start to break loose. it will eat the tires off the car in 1st gear though.. but that's all it will hold. and as for 2nd well it will not grab hard enough to chirp the tires, but if you shift slowly it will hold all the way through.. but if you hold it at 3-3.5k and jump on it it will slip...

I am just going to have to pull it apart, just have to wait..
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

No offense meant here, but Jonathan is only trying to help you and I get the feeling that you're getting defensive as if we're saying you did something wrong or don't know what you're doing.

I can assure you Jonathan has been around these transmissions long enough that he could pin point your problem very easily just off your given description.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 10-04-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Launching!

No no not defensive sorry, did not mean to come off that way at all..
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
FormerVendor

I can assure to a lot of concerns here, are not even a possibility. 1, there are no leaks on my car whatsoever.. I am **** about my car. 2, there is plenty of free play before the throw out touches the fingers of the pressure plate.. 3, I didn't use shims. 4, I got a complete clutch kit, Flywheel, Disc, pressure plate, slave and master. it only has 2,500 miles on it, there is no way in the world that this thing wore out that fast.. I have been Driving standard cars since I was old enough to sit behind the wheel on my own..

The car is parked until I have a chance to pull the clutch out of it, its going to be a few weeks. the shop is busy and I don't have the time to deal with this until my house is put back together..

I am almost 100% sure that the cause of this problem is the pressure plate, the last time I drove the car which was the day of my last post..

when I went out to get into the car the pedal was almost as tight as it was the day i put the clutch in, then after 25 min of driving the clutch went soft. and i mean to like a stock level soft.. but It would still hold strong in 1st gear.

But once i would get to 3rd gear at about 3k rpm, the clutch would start to break loose. it will eat the tires off the car in 1st gear though.. but that's all it will hold. and as for 2nd well it will not grab hard enough to chirp the tires, but if you shift slowly it will hold all the way through.. but if you hold it at 3-3.5k and jump on it it will slip...

I am just going to have to pull it apart, just have to wait..
Get me some pics of the unit when you get it out and we'll go from there. If it's a manufacturer defect we'll send you another out asap. Keep me posted!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Launching!

I am at work so I was trying to make my post as fast as I could, so that I wouldn't get into trouble..
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Launching!

I will have it out once my house is finished, just going to be a few more Weeks
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

I will have it out once my house is finished, just going to be a few more Weeks
Sounds good. Just keep us in the loop
Old 10-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Launching!

I will do... and to everyone who has given me other options as to what could be causing this, I appreciate it a lot.. I am kinda frustrated with this as anyone else would be, and I am in no way trying to take that out on the ones who are trying to help..

So if anyone took something I said as being that way I am sorry..

Jason
Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

No no not defensive sorry, did not mean to come off that way at all..
It's ok bro, the internet is a hard place to show emotion and sincerity.

I understand issues like these are very frustrating.

You seem pretty sharp and Steve has good business practices in place and with those two combined I think you will find the answer to you problem(s).

Old 10-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Launching!

yes it is, lol I never try to be one of those A$$hole customers, because I deal with them on a daily basis.. I know where you guys are coming from.. I have to defend myself all the time from customers that have work done, Rebuild or whatever the case may be..

They might have all kinds of stuff wrong when they come in, but chose to only fix the transmission.. under advisement that their driveability problem may affect the performance of their new transmission,

two weeks later you know what happens lol.. they are back and pissed off because the cat clogged all the way up, and they think the trans is burnt up and want us to fix their car for free... grrrrr
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 AM
FormerVendor

yes it is, lol I never try to be one of those A$$hole customers, because I deal with them on a daily basis.. I know where you guys are coming from.. I have to defend myself all the time from customers that have work done, Rebuild or whatever the case may be..

They might have all kinds of stuff wrong when they come in, but chose to only fix the transmission.. under advisement that their driveability problem may affect the performance of their new transmission,

two weeks later you know what happens lol.. they are back and pissed off because the cat clogged all the way up, and they think the trans is burnt up and want us to fix their car for free... grrrrr
Yea, I love my job and I love this hobby. It drives me to do the best I possibly can for my customers, myself and the industry. When you get customers that act like that though...it really takes all the gratification and willingness to do the job away and just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I know all too well the situations you speak of and they suck. I really hate being stuck in that position with an upset customer because I strive to have happy customers and it makes you feel like you did something wrong or improperly even if you really didn't.

Only thing you can do is try your hardest with the next customer and do you best.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Launching!

I completely agree.. couldn't have said it better..

Quick Reply: Monster/tick level 3.. need help quick..