Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave cylinder install

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave cylinder install

I have fluid leaking from where the motor meets the trans and my clutch pedal sticks to the floor, and I have to pump it all the time to get it to work, and I am told its the slave.
I have never done anything clutch related, so do any of you know of a good write up on how to install a new slave?
Also, and recommendations on which slave to get, or just an OEM one..
Thanks!
I have a 98 SS if there is a difference between the years.

Last edited by tyler99; 09-22-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: car info
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what color is the fluid? What are you using the car for? solely street? drag? both?

I have a 98 SS and i just changed the slave this past winter...i went with an oem unit that was included as part of the monster level 2 clutch package (i'm pretty sure it was an oem unit). I autox and track the car so needed something a bit more robust than stock.

you have to pull the tranny to change the slave...lots of good write ups, just google "ls1 clutch install" and it will cover the basics of the transmission removal.

the slave is bolted to the transmission and is connected to your clutch master cylinder...removing the master cylinder fluid line from the slave cylinder will be the biggest challange if you plan on keeping your master cylinder.

Depending on your application, you may want to look at changing other components while you're under there if you plan on doing it yourself
Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just tackled this a month ago. not too bad just time consuming. i used a couple writeups i found online. http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ch_install.htm
heres a good one. basically ungplug the connectors on the trans, undo the hydraulic line from the master. Then take off the crossmember and torque arm. Then undo the tranny bolts and drop er down. Lots of extensions to get the top bolts. Two bolts hold the slave onto the actuator cylinder. I would recommend adding a tick speed bleeder while you are down there. You will not regret it. Good luck. PM if you have any questions I can help with.

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder install