Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 clutch in 01 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls7 clutch in 01 trans am

right now my clutch is gone. have been decidning what to go with i almost 100%
on ysing the ls7 clutch my my goal with my car is 450rwhp. will the ls7 handel that. does anyone have the part nuber for the ls7 clutch kit? can i use the flywheel in the kit and does the ls7 clutch kit fit in a 01 trans am. should i use the aluminum flywheel. thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with those goals i WOULD NOT get an LS7.. id only use ls7 in a 100% stock car they cant take the weight or abuse.

go with a Monster Level 2
Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering the ls7 clutch was created for the 500hp ls7 motor, I'd say it will hold decent power and have a soft stock feeling pedal. I have the ls7 clutch and many others run it with success. Unless your goal is to drag it out a lot, then look at monster, but the ls7 will work.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

a ls7 will hold i have never been dynoed but i should be close to 450rwhp i have 17k on my ls7 has never slipped once i have over 100 track passes on slicks at 5500 launch pulling the driver wheel i also have probably 30 of them passes being on spray between a 100-150 shot in my opinion there is not better street strip clutch for a driver out there im sure mine will go eventually and when it does another one will replace it
Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you use the flywheel that came with it.
Did it fit right in like stock. Did you use the aluminum
Flywheel or steel fly wheel. Did the flywheel cone with the clutch.

I have found a part nuber for the clutch

Does anyone have the part number for the kit
Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

The LS7 was built for a car that weighs a bit less than the fbody, and those clutches have a hard time holding the power, with abuse, from the factory.

If you're looking for a complete package that is proven and is backed by a one year warranty get a Monster. Colorado Speed and Maryland Speed both have sales on our products that will get you a Monster at damn near the same price as a LS7.

Let me know if you have any questions about our product!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by spiro27
Did you use the flywheel that came with it.
Did it fit right in like stock. Did you use the aluminum
Flywheel or steel fly wheel. Did the flywheel cone with the clutch.

I have found a part nuber for the clutch

Does anyone have the part number for the kit
i bought mine from scoggin dickie i am using the steel gm flywheel that came in the kit they sale i have installed several of the kits in everything from stock ls1 to 408 strokers and have not had a problem yet im sure in a 600rwhp car or a pure track car there is a better clutch but for 90% of the lsx cars out there i feel that it is the best
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

if these are the right part numbers i can get the clutch and flywheel for 630 canadian. i work at dealer theres no duty or shipping.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had an ls7 clutch with steel flywheel and i was pushing 409 rwhp with a heavy drivetrain ( 9inch, steel driveshaft) and after like 15k miles on it, it started to slip on me at high rpm. normal driving it does great but can't take the abuse. my car is a 100% daily driver and rarely sees any track use. i upgraded to a tdp stage 2 and it feels so much better. I tell u this though even with the ls7 clutch sticking at high rpm it did last over 60k miles on it.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Spiro,
depends on a few things...what are you going to do with the car? is it solely a street machine? Street/Drag? and with respect to the flywheel, who is the manufacturer?

For street only...stock is beautiful...so the LS7 is more than adequate. if you plan to compete...that's different. As much as i like the LS7 because it sounds cool...it will surrender to heat.

Alum flywheels def. allow for more acceleration!! Some hold well and some don't..."warpage" is known issue with aluminium flywheels so if you're into pulling you're transmission out relative to your track participation frequency then perhaps you can indulge yourself...I would never recommend using aluminium for the street only as IMO it will make the car a chore to drive. When cars become hard to drive, they become hard to drive fast so many of the gains you obtain by using aluminium can be negated by driveability and part quality issues with respect to the application...something to think about.

If you don't want to expose yourself to this risk...stick with steel. If you're concerned with weight, you can go with a billet steel flywheel...since the difference is only about 6-7 lbs. over alum.

i could go on.

Last edited by brigade24; 09-19-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

LS7 in mine and I love it...... Cannot beat stock feel. Futral had to make my master adjustable for it to work properly and it has been a gem ever since. My car is not a DD and I rarely beat on it, so I think mine will last a loooooong time. Below is the Scoggin page for the kit:

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...center/sdls7ck
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Launching!

I've got a Monster Stage 4 sitting on my work bench ready to go into my car but my LS7 that was in the car when I got it is still holding close to 650whp on my TC78 setup. I've been very impressed. On that note though my car is a street car so it rarely see's a hard launch but I do smash gears
Old 09-23-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

my car has made 405 at the rear wheels i plan on making in 450rwhp range.
the car will be a street car maybe see track couple times a year.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 AM
On The Tree

In my old 99 SS, I put in the LS7 kit and it drove amazingly well. It held up to my abuse at Road America for a weekend. But, it did not like the strip for me. I only took it to the strip once, but with my fear of breaking the stock 10 bolt I was trying to slip the clutch to keep the rpm's up and well, let's just say 2nd gear wasn't happening for about 15 seconds.

The clutch did come back and drove fine afterwards, but high rpm slipping is a no-no. Some clutches can handle that, some can't. The LS7 clutch is one that can't, unless I just flat out suck at driving and that's very possible. After all, I am the jag-bag that missed 2nd gear due to a hot clutch. =)

But, as I said, it will handle abuse. My SS had a cam in it, roughly 430hp at the flywheel and I beat the ever loving s**t out of it at Road America.

I haven't seen it mentioned, nor do I know if you read up on it. The LS7 clutch has a slight break in period. The clutch will disengage/engage near the bottom of the pedal travel until it gets some miles on it. Then it will eventually come to about the middle of the pedal travel, or at least mine did. I think it took around 150 miles or something for me. I forget because it's been years since I've owned the car let alone driven it/installed the clutch. Either way, good luck and have fun!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
with those goals i WOULD NOT get an LS7.. id only use ls7 in a 100% stock car they cant take the weight or abuse.

go with a Monster Level 2
This is WAY conservative.

I've been running an LS7 in my T/A for a few years now, have 80k miles on it, and I've got a cam/bolton car that puts down 380rwhp and I haven't had an issue yet.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dodson55
a ls7 will hold i have never been dynoed but i should be close to 450rwhp i have 17k on my ls7 has never slipped once i have over 100 track passes on slicks at 5500 launch pulling the driver wheel i also have probably 30 of them passes being on spray between a 100-150 shot in my opinion there is not better street strip clutch for a driver out there im sure mine will go eventually and when it does another one will replace it
I like this post.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I have a 2000 WS6 that had a LS7 clutch, i was going on a clover leaf getting off the freeway and hit a bump in the road and bam RPM'S went up and it was like i was in neutral, every time I put in gear and let off clutch I went nowhere and there was a grinding noise. Removed the trans and found that the clutch hub broke and was just spinning, I had low profile tires on at the time but still the fact that it broke that easy makes me never want to put another in.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MertezWS6
I have a 2000 WS6 that had a LS7 clutch, i was going on a clover leaf getting off the freeway and hit a bump in the road and bam RPM'S went up and it was like i was in neutral, every time I put in gear and let off clutch I went nowhere and there was a grinding noise. Removed the trans and found that the clutch hub broke and was just spinning, I had low profile tires on at the time but still the fact that it broke that easy makes me never want to put another in.
That sounds like it was a defect. I've certainly hit my fair share of large bumps in the 6+ years that I've had the LS7 in and it's been great.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
This is WAY conservative.

I've been running an LS7 in my T/A for a few years now, have 80k miles on it, and I've got a cam/bolton car that puts down 380rwhp and I haven't had an issue yet.
Conservative hmmm. i bet your also the kinda guy who runs the smallest springs possible with your cam just because it clears. sure an LS7 would work. but i beat the hell out of my clutch day in and day out and i plan my mods ahead of time... id rather get a clutch that will hold 550rwhp (reliably while beating on it) than have one thats oem meant for 450rwhp and a daily driver in a lighter car. im also going to be getting springs with a .690 lift tolerance for a cam thats only .620 lift because at the end of the day.. id rather have the headroom and not worry about i wonder when im going to have to replace this next.

on another note... i plan on making in the 500 range with a 6.0 in my car in the future and possibly spraying it.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
Conservative hmmm. i bet your also the kinda guy who runs the smallest springs possible with your cam just because it clears.
you thought wrong. :shrug:

I never said the LS7 clutch was the biggest beast of a clutch available... just that you were exaggerating w/ how weak it is.

FWIW, I've run a Spec3 for 50+k miles. I'm not opposed to a beefier clutch, but the LS7 will certainly hold a lot more than "100% bone stock".

Last edited by DANSBIRD; 09-24-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: ls7 clutch in 01 trans am