Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Custom built t 56

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 05:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom built t 56

I have been on a tear to get a built t 56 that is proven and can stand up to my abuse. I have been thru 6 t56's. So I see no need to invest any cash into the stock stuff any more. Oh btw they were all covered by gm suckers. Any way I am going to contact these guys. http://www.rsgear.com/ttc-tremec.html Any one know of them. Or have anything built by them. Or these guys http://www.keislerauto.com I read a good article in chevy hp. Thanks

Joe-M
Old 04-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Teching In

G-force is building T56 trannies now... they are claiming they are holding some pretty good numbers.. Only downside is that they are expensive!!! just a thought for ya to think on...
Old 04-09-2004, 08:21 AM
9 Second Club

Well I saw proof in the article and the pics. Everything is alot stiffer and the snycros are heavy duty I will check that out 2 I need to do this soon. Thanks
Old 04-09-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always hear "talk" of a "stout" T56, but knowing the internals like I do, I just wonder exactly what they're doing.

I know you can get a billet mainshaft. Not a bad idea, I've seen one broken at the track, what a mess. I've replaced both of my mainshafts (I have 2 T56's) - one because it wore out at the 5-6 driven gear spline, the other because it chipped on a roller bearing surface when trying to remove an extremely stubborn snap ring.

You can get billet keys for the sliders... And of course replace the 3-4 fork with steel.

But what else is there? "Beefier synchronizers" is questionable. The synchro design changed for '01, and they don't make the earlier version any more. Duh, that's what everybody is using now.

You can cryo-treat the internals. Still not convinced that it's worth $400 tho.

The most common failures I've seen are:

-Broken off nubby teeth from the gears
-Slider keys popping out of 3-4
-Nubby teeth flat out wearing out in 5-6
-Mainshaft splines at 5-6 driven wearing out
-Slider rings wearing out (and you can't buy just the ring )
-Bent 3-4 shift fork
-Snapped mainshaft

So... what else can they be doing? Just wondering aloud...
Old 04-10-2004, 07:55 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Andrew hit it on the head. The "trick" carbon synchro linings were stock in 01-up.

The 3-4 keys sometimes get broken (in half) by their falling out.

I guess I should be glad I'm not in marketing.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:43 AM
9 Second Club

Well to give you an update. I talked to the rsgear president He told me to contact his builder in the shop monday He talked to me personally because he couldnt believe that I have gone thru 6 t56's and wanted to know what was failing. So we talked it over. My car will go on the lift and get the tranny pulled and a built t 56 to hold 650 rwhp no problem with the 5th and 6th gear ratio's swapped. I cant wait Here is the article and some pics of the upgrades. http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...48_0405_trans/

Oh yea and a 48 hour turn around time

Quick Reply: Custom built t 56