Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need help quick, engine won't turn over after transmission reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default need help quick, engine won't turn over after transmission reinstall

i just got my transmission reinstalled after being rebuilt, and now the engine won't turn over.

Monster Level 2 clutch package (made sure the green spring hub is facing the pressure plate), all flywheel & pressure plate bolts are torqued properly, and the flywheel was turning freely earlier (with some leverage on the pressure plate bolts after torquing them down) before mating the transmission to the engine.

all the gears are pretty easy to get into gear, but when the car is in gear, the wheels still turn freely by hand, and the driveshaft is not turning when you turn the wheels.

with the car in neutral, i can turn the driveshaft by hand and the wheels turn with it.

i am getting plenty of power from the battery, and even hooked it up to another vehicle to jump it off to make 100% sure it was getting enough power.

when i hit the ignition, i hear a fast clicking sound, and the lights dim a lot, it almost sounds like the starter is binding up for some reason.

anyone got any ideas as to what would keep the engine from turning over?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

A fast clicking is a low battery or worn solenoid on the starter. Or a weak ground or power connection to the starter.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

So last night i pulled the trans back out, pulled the bellhousing, and tried to start the car again, but i'm stil getting the same thing...i can turn the engine over by hand via the crank bolt up front, so bopefully it's just the battery...gonna put a charger on it and see what happens...anyone else think of anything else that it could be?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's probably a fluke thing that the starter just gave up all of the sudden. Did you check your connections on the starter? Did you test the starter? I probably would have checked that before pulling the trans again lol.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Check all the connections on the starter and see if something is loose
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Check all the connections on the starter and see if something is loose
Yep, that was one of the first things i did...all connections are solid
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Well, it was the battery that was keeping it from starting...after having the charger on it for a day, it fired right up...gonna get out there tomorrow morning and get everything put back together...hopefully for the last time...and get my $200 back from the starter i bought in the evnt the starter was hosed

Quick Reply: need help quick, engine won't turn over after transmission reinstall