Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

'99 lq4 swap into c5 corvette help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 lq4 swap into c5 corvette help!

bought a 99 lq4 out of a gmc 2500hd and am trying to make it work in an '01 vette. apparently the transmission flange on the '99 and '00 models were a little longer, then in '01 they went back to the shorter ones. i'm trying to mate this to the t56 in the car and am having a heck of a time finding a starter that reaches the ring gear on the flywheel. i think it's a bit far to replace a whole crank just because i can't find a starter that will stick out an additional .400" to contact the flywheel. do we know of anybody that makes a bracket or an adjustable starter/block that will help me out? thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It won't work with a t56. I have had 2 of those year model engines and there is not enough clearance.
Physically it will all bolt up, but you will run into issues with the hydraulic throwout bearing being compressed against the pressure plate.
I think the only way to make something like this work is with a spacer between the bellhousing and the trans and maybe a newer c6 pilot bearing. I am not 100% sure if this would work the way I am describing it but might be worth a shot. Thats assuming you can find a starter to reach.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

I just re read your post, this is going into a c5 huh. Well, I am almost certain this wont work. The tq. tube cannot be spaced back as it will throw the rest of the drivetrain back. That's not gonna happen.
A c5 slave cylinder has 2.202" of clearance with the spring collapsed on it.
We usually have about .325-.375" clerance between the pressure plate and slave cylinder. What we do is we add shims under the slave and we get to about .100-.125 clearance so that we get a full travel on the slave.
If that crank is .400" thicker then you will run into issues here. It will cause your clutch to be slipping from the get-go.
Only way out is to swap out the crank for a newer 2001 up 24 tooth.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Teching In

can i get another slave cylinder? or maybe an adjustable? i think it's really ridiculous to just toss another crank in there for something so simple as the pressure plate. if it comes out again it will be forged and balanced, and i'm tryin to go the cheapest route....which seems to never exist with me.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

I dont know of a shorter slave cylinder unfortunately. Maybe milling the tq tube down where the slave sits will give you that clearance you need. But, then the input shaft on the tq tube will be too long. You could machine down the input shaft to make it shorter also. I don't know bud, that's a lot of work and need to take a lot of measurements so that its done right.

I wish I still had one of the lq4 engines and I could measure it all out for you.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Teching In

well milling the tq tube isn't such a bad idea. the input shaft wasn't a problem. it's actually sitting in the car right now all bolted up- but i have plans to build/forge it later anyway. this is just bringin that faster- much to the dismay of my wife.

Quick Reply: '99 lq4 swap into c5 corvette help!