Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Odd Clunking/Popping Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Clunking/Popping Noise...

Alright guys, I have two different problems that I am trying to diagnose before I do anything else to my car.

First, when I release the clutch to take off in first (normal or hard) there is a loud clunking/popping noise under the car somewhere between the trans and the rearend. It doesnt usually just pop once; usually it's about 3 or 4 pops that get quicker as the car starts to accelerate. Sometimes it sounds like it is farther back, and sometimes it sounds like it is right under the front seats. It happens every time I take off. Its almost like there is slack in the drivetrain, and it is popping as it catches. I have already bought new Prothane motor mounts and a new Delco rubber tranny mount to put in (hopefully this weekend). I will report back after I get those on to see if they help at all, but I don't think they will solve the problem completely. BTW, I know the car has a prothane tranny mount in it now, but it is very worn down (I checked). I don't know if the motor mounts are prothane or stock, but I'm sure they need to be replaced anyways if the tranny mount is that worn down. I also have a leaky pinion seal (which I am also getting ready to replace), so could that have anything to do with the clunking? Any help would be appreciated, especially from anyone who has had this problem before.

Secondly, ever since I bought the car I have had shifting problems with it from time to time. When I first got it I couldnt do any high rpm shifting at all since I have a Monster Stage 3 clutch, so I put a Tick Master Cylinder in it. That fixed the high rpm shifting problem for the most part. I also changed the tranny fluid to Redline ATF at the same time. Now, since it has started to get a little cooler, before the car warms up the trans will grind going into 4th and sometimes 3rd. Once it warms up, it doesnt grind anymore. Has anybody had this problem before? If so, are there any solutions that you found?

Just for your information, the tranny has a Tick Stage 2 build and a Monster Stage 3 clutch. Thanks for any info!

Last edited by 97_ek; 10-18-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bump, anyone ever had these problems? Specifically the clunking/popping?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump, any info guys?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Sounds like maybe the tranny is shot? When i first got my car at 160k miles the transmission was more or less quiet. Over the past couple months its gotten pretty bad. It grinds in most gears at high rpms, makes ticking noises, sometimes popping noises. I did research and pretty much found out that my transmission is fubar. Worn synchro's, bearings, etc.

I dont know exactly what kind of popping your hearing but i hear a loud bang when i press the clutch in sometimes. that im pretty sure is the input shaft. When i took the tranny out it had a lot of play in it. I assume theres a lot of unwanted movement going on inside my tranny.

Thats all I got.

Oh yeah i just remember. My clutch is new but when i had the old one in, when i would let go of the clutch pedal it was cause some serious vibrations and cause noise. This was due to a warped/worn disc. This also only happened in 1st. Are you getting a virbation as well?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hope my tranny isn't shot. It has a stage 2 Tick build on it, and thats one thing that I don't want to have to spend money on. It does have a vibration with it when it pops. I am going to replace the things that I know are worn out first to see if that fixes the problem. I already have a new pinion seal and motor/tranny mounts so I am going to replace them first. Hopefully that loose pinion seal is my problem, but things don't typically go that well for me haha.

Quick Reply: Odd Clunking/Popping Noise...