Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with T56 rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with T56 rebuild?

about a year ago I took out my M12 T56 out of my 2005 GTO and replaced the 1-2 synchro and blocker rings etc... I upgraded to bronze shift pads, billet keys and a bronze shifter cup. About a month after getting it back in, the transmission started grinding intermittently into 1st gear. I avoided it by using the 2nd gear synchro and then going into 1st. I just got around to taking it out and have some questions. The 1-2 synchro and blocker rings as well as the teeth on the gears all look to be very good. When disassembling though the synchro slider/body had moved up the shaft and cocked itself slightly over the snap ring as shown in my pic (its hard to see) I used the press to re-seat it and the snap ring came right off. I guess I didn't grind it enough to damage any of the 1-2 synchro parts? What causes this? I did re-use the snap rings the last time... I found a post here that confirms my suspicions but I still wanted to get an idea as to why it does this, and other than new snap rings, what is the fix? https://ls1tech.com/forums/14449985-post12.html

I also noticed quite a bit of wear on the teeth of 5th and 6 gear as well as the synchro body teeth. I plan on ordering new 5th and 6th gears as well as a synchro (although the blockers both look pristine.) I never noticed an issue with either gear. What can cause this issue? And I posted a picture of the counter shaft extension to see if the splines appear worn or if they are normally like this? I plan on new blockers for 1-2 and 3-4 as well as a new 5-6 synchro. Any help or ideas for either issue would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by 99pewterZ71; 10-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The mainshft and/or synchro hub may be worn causing it, or it just may be the worn ring that should have been replaced. If funds are tight, you may want to at least flip the synchro. If the snap ring isn't contacting the hub after rebuild, you should stop and find out what's worn.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. The synchro was very tight and needed to be pressed on when I test installed it last night so I guess the culprit is the snap ring
Itself. Any ideas on the 5-6 gear wear? Are those splines supposed to slope down like that towards the start of the splines? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99pewterZ71
Any ideas on the 5-6 gear wear? Are those splines supposed to slope down like that towards the start of the splines? Thanks.
5th gear gets beat up a lot because of the change of the shift rail from the mainshaft to the extension shaft. Just replace it and the synchro and make sure to shim it as close to 0.000 as possible.

Splines look good/normal and many times the 5/6 synchro won't even need a press/puller to remove it.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Yes mine needed a press but seemed much easier than the 1-2. Thanks for you help, I can't wait to get it back on the road and enjoy the cooler weather and smoother transmission that will hopefully no longer grind into 1st gear haha.

Quick Reply: Help with T56 rebuild?