Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Oil Leak After Clutch Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Leak After Clutch Install

I've found a few threads from others having this issue. Wondering if anyone has an idea. Here's my situation;

I recently did an A4 to T56 swap. I have a newly built engine with around 3k miles on it. Up until the trans swap I didn't have any oil leaks at all. I did the swap and have put about 500 miles on the new clutch without any issues. This past Friday I noticed that my car is leaving about a 2" or better oil spot after it's parked.

I've confirmed that the oil isn't coming from the OSU or valve covers. I've been under the car several times since the install and know that there hasn't been a leak until now. It looks to be coming from within the bellhousing for sure.

I have no idea why it would 1) start leaking after the clutch install and 2) not start leaking until I've driven it for 500 miles.

I plan to pull the tranny this weekend to take a look. I'd appreciate any ideas of what this might be.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Staging Lane

If its not clutch fluid leaking from the slave bleeder, then it's engine oil leaking from either the rear main seal or the back rear engine cover.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Teching In

If u installed a new pilot bushing look into the plug in the back of the crank. Its basically a freeze plug. Something to look at if its not the rear main or cover. Its also often over looked.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

What bolts did you use for the flywheel to crank? The crank flange is drilled/tapped through to the inside of the motor. GM bolts have a sealer on them to prevent oil from coming through.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak After Clutch Install