Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

transmission fluid question

Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid question

I am replacing the transmission fluid in my stock t56 in a 98 z28. I was wondering if wal mart brand super tech dextron 3 is a good fluid to use. Also the tranny takes 4 quarts , correct?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried a few different fluids. I wouldnt run any synthetic if you have the stock paper blocker rings in the tranny. Mobil atf wasnt bad but a little notchy when cold, Castrol was notchy and I didnt like it, pennzoil synchromesh was the best non-synthetic i used and the best overall is what I run now which is redline d4 and its synthetic.

The walmart oil is probably fine but honestly the fluid is only changed every 30k or so, so why not give it something good. I'd say any name brand dino atf is fine but I would lean towards synchromesh or redline d4.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll find every brand under the sun as a response to that question but redbird has made the point...if you have paper blockers meaning that if your tranny is stock, run the dex3. there a minerals in dex3 that are required to preserve those paper blockers...

so long as it has the necessary approved certifications (API and/or SAE) and its dex3...then your good to go.

I track and autox my car and i use plain ol' dex 3...i just change it more often.

ran RP synchromax and ended up having to change a few blocker rings...
Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried generic Valvoline Dex, Mobil 1, Pennzoil synchromesh, and Redline D4... no noticeable changes between any of them. I'm using the Redline now and haven't had issues.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been using Amsoil ATF. No issues other than its a little notchy when its colder than 50* F outside. Talked to a tremic guy at a show he said they have had good results with Amsoil ATF,Pennzoil Syncromesh, and GM Manual Transmission fluid right from the dealer. He personally uses Pennzoil syncromesh because its cheaper than the GM stuff and the Part # is only a few numbers different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission fluid question