Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch

I recently developed a hole in the steel braided line from the master to the slave, fixed it with a 22" McLeod line and a an3-an4 adapter with the an3 to the tubed end to seal it in the master. Now to the slave, while i was under the car before i fixed the line i noticed brake fluid under the bell housing by the motor and figured it was from the hole in the steel braided line and had just ran down the transmission and would take care of itself. Before i put the master back in with the new line i had bench bled it, hooked it back up and bled it through again out of the slave (although not 2 bottles) and it seemed to work fine for about 4 days. then i was driving to work and heard a loud pop so to speak then i couldn't put it into any gear, the pedal will come back about half way off of the floor to full extension and stop. you can pull it the rest of the way back and PUMP THE **** OUT OF IT and it will build up enough so you can get into first and 2nd gear but grinds in the rest, after you have it in gear and then clutch to move to switch it wont go into gear again. Would this be a failed slave? The only reason i haven't pulled the transmission back is it's snowing and i don't have a very good place to mess with it. If I should continue to bleed the 2 bottles of fluid through it to ensure it's not an air bubble i will, but even as i'm bleeding the system it never changes the 'tension' in the pedal. when i had the master off of the car to bench bleed it wasn't leaking and had good pressure so I'm almost 100% sure it's not the master. Though it could be the fittings that i used to make the McLeod line fit on the stock master? I did tighten them down very well, but i suppose u never know. the reason i'm asking is also I've only got about 400 bucks to my name atm. and don't want to invest in a whole new clutch although it seems like waiting and doing that would have been best. any advice?

if it is the slave I've found a few centric for 44 bucks? worth it? how would you put a new throw out bearing on it I've found them for 10 bucks so new would be ~ 55 shipped. yes, no?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

The first thing I suggest is trying to nail down what exactly "popped". Check the lines/fitting to make sure you aren't seeing evidence of fluid loss there. Then, you can disconnect the line that feeds from the master to the slave and try depressing the pedal. If there is no resistance or if the pedal drops under easy even pressure then the master is the issue. If the seals in the slave are damaged you will likely notice a fluid leak from the bell. You can check the fluid in the reservoir to see if the level is lower than it should be too as this will further evidence issues with fluid loss. Let me know what you find and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Default thanks

'You can certainly try the drill mod if you like. Another way to check the master is to disconnect the quick-connect line that feeds the slave and try to push the pedal down. Don't force it, just apply even pressure. If the pedal doesn't move then the master should be fine. If it is, then you can look at replacing the slave. If you are like most folks its better to try to find the issue rather than throw parts at it and hope you find the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks' - Spec

I had just read this off of another thread and my master does retain all pressure with the quick disconnect off of the slave. So I'm almost sure it's the slave now as I have fluid leaking from bell housing. I got the car ready to pull the transmission back. Just need to find my slave w/bearing for cheap. Thanks for the reply hope this works, high here is 16F this weekend going to have to be really ambitious to work on it.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Default centric

there's a centric slave on ebay 138, and 139.66006 what's the difference and are these worth putting in da camaro?

Quick Reply: clutch