Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ok. Wtf. I quit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok. Wtf. I quit.

I need help. I have an 01 SS. I bought the car a while back and noticed a sound shortly after I bought it, it has a tapping sound that increases/decreases with the RPM's. The only way to get the tapping to start is to sustain higher than 1600 RPM's. It doesn't happen on acceleration. If you downshift going down a hill, it will start. It will stop if you let the car idle for a minute or so. My first thought - valvetrain. I rebuilt the entire upper end. LS7 lifters, comp hardened pushrods measured to spot (7.400). Manley valves, dual valve springs, trunioned rockers, and a TSP cam. All done by RPM motorsports. After getting the car back, I still had my tapping sound. I brought it back to RPM and they put it on a lift. They concluded, and showed me, that it was coming from the bell housing. So...I replaced the clutch. Monster stage 3 with tick hydraulics. IT'S STILL THERE. One last thing about the sound. It will still increase or decrease with the RPM's if you press in the clutch and rev the engine. Ok. Ideas?

Edit: it was a complete clutch swap, flywheel and all.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exhaust leak?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Its a possibility I've considered. I can't seem to find one. I'm running LT headers, so its a little harder to find if I do have one. I'm hoping it is, but don't think it is.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is doing the exact same thing..This is the first post i have seen about the same symptoms im having..Im fixing to replace the clutch.Was hopeing that was gonna do it but now idk. I have also replaced lifters . Im really stumped on this noise. Stop the car and let it idle for a minute and it will go awyay.Cruise around town in redlights and it will never doi it. Jump on the interstae cruise at about 70-75 for a few minutes and their it is. Weirdest crap i have ever chased

http://youtu.be/2Z3OoGdC7dI

at red light after stoping.It would do this for maybe a minute the go completly away

http://youtu.be/Jw74D02vRyQ

car the next morning..nothing

Same problem..I have not a clue.Sounds as if it comes from the bellhouseing so a clutch and slave/pilot bearing was my next guess but you already change your so now im like s***....

Well it hasnet posted my second video so here it is on the hwy ant about 70

http://youtu.be/JLq5MU06P3k

http://youtu.be/Jw74D02vRyQ

And heres the morning after . after a short ride..Not a noise..Nothing.normal. I dont get it either.

Originally Posted by I Confederate I
Its a possibility I've considered. I can't seem to find one. I'm running LT headers, so its a little harder to find if I do have one. I'm hoping it is, but don't think it is.

Ive never had a header leak come and go. Ive always had a header leak that leaked.well it leaked untill i fixed it.never had a header leak that fixed itself.

Since this problem started i have removed heads. Had them worked and .015 removed, a valve job, 8 new intake valves installed. Ls7 lifters. New Gm mls header gaskets. Gm mls head gaskets. Head stud kit. All of this and i have not affected this noise one bit. When it makes the noise and i stop the car i only have about a minute to get out the car and try to figure out where its coming from before it stops ticking. Sounds as if its definatly comeing from the bellhouseing to me also but i havent been in their to see yet.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it could maybe be a header gasket to me or somekind of exhaust leak,
Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

yea. i have replaced it all..None of that change the noise at all. When the noise started the heads had never been off the car but now they have and its all new and still their the exact same way.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

Did you put a new o-ring on your oil pick-up tube? Very common the nick them.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

I dont know about the OP but i never took mine off Car has low miles on it.I dident see the need to mess with the pump or the chain.This noise started before all of that. Ive got just a hair under 40 psi idle and up to 60 or so with higher rpms. It definatly sounds like its comeing from underneath.

What makes it hard to find is it will not keep doing it..Once the car is stoped i may not even have a full minute to listen before it goes away.

Last edited by BKsNHRA; 11-23-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Man. That is the exact noise I have. I'm actually glad to have found someone else with it. I've tried literally everything I can think of to fix this. This sound is the only reason why I don't take my car on road trips. Its purely around town. I haven't swapped any o-rings, but I don't see how that could make a noise that increases with the rpms.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Well if the oring on the oil pump was pinched it would cause a lack of oil to parts of the engine and result in serious problems..But i donot believe thats the case here.

I have been chaseing this for months.I took the car to cruizin the coast..I made the noise half way their. Got off the interstate and into the heavy traffic and nothing allday long.I dident turn the car off all day.Few minutes after i got on the I10 to come back it started..So i ordered a stage 2 monster to put in but havent had the chance to get it installed yet..This is really puzzleing that it can make a solid mettalic sound like this and go away and sound completly normal after stoping the car and pressing the clutch has no effect on it.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

I can't quote on my cell phone, but you said its hard to trace because it goes away in less than a minute after you pull over. This is how I located it. Have a buddy ride with you. When it starts pull over and hold the gas to about 2k rpms. Pop the hood and have your buddy hold the throttle body linkage still. Jump out of the car and listen. As long as the car is revving about 1500-2000, the noise won't go away. Maybe if you try it, you'll see something I don't.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Far as i can tell im in aggreement with the guys that said your is coming from the bellhousing. Thats where it seems to be loudest. Thats why i bought the clutch. Im not sure when im gonna have time to install it but i will get back when i do..

Did you also change the pilot bearing,slave and throw out bearing when you did yours?

Just to throw it out their i have even cut open 3 oil filter and saw nothing out of the ordinary in their...Just tryin to put everything i have done out their so maybe someone might throw something out their that we havent thought of
Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yep. Changed it all. Had it done by Mayhem Motor sports just to make sure it was done right. I saw the parts when they were finished. My pilot bearing was seized. I don't think it caused any damage, because they didn't mention any problems on the test drives, etc. I could be wrong. I don't see how a bad pilot bearing would still cause this noise after it was replaced.

I have too. I busted open some oil filters, and drained the transmission. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. Hardly anything to speak of.

I have this posted on the internal engine forum as well. This is a post I just pulled off of that.

" If it does not do it on acceleration but does do it on de-acceleration that that screams to me a clearance or a worn bearing issue in the transmission. What transmission is being used, T-56? Could check for input shaft endplay, that is where i would start."
Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yep. Ill be sure to post up when I get time to pull my trans and see what goin on. I have all the parts just have to find the time
Old 11-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Alright. Well just as a heads up, I'm planning on doing my lower end next week. Not the mid-range. Just the lower. Rod bearings and bolts, main bearings and seals. A friend of mine who works for a local Firestone, and has been a performance junkie forever, heard the noise and said that it could be my #8 cylinder knocking. So, as a safeguard, might as well tear it apart. I'll report back with what I find.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

Ok. I thought about it but I have never had a rod or main bearing knock and stop knocking. Usually when a rod knocks it knocks. It doesn't stop. But I'm not ruleing it out. Let me know what you find. Very interested May be time for that new TMS motor.

Ever get this torn down and find anything?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BKsNHRA
Ever get this torn down and find anything?
Not yet. Its not a good time to do it. Holidays and all. New development though. I changed my tranny fluid. Nothing to speak of came out, but it was a little thin. I took it out on the highway and never heard a peep out of it. Took a video and all. As soon as I got back into town I started cruising around in 3rd. It made the noise, but literally went away as soon as I shifted through to 5th. In 3rd I was cranking 2k rpms. I did it for about 3 miles before it started making noise. I'm wondering if it isn't a pilot bushing being worn out.

You find anything yet?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Not yet. Starting a new Job tomarrow so as soon as i get all my stuff straight iwill be tearing it down
Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

have you had the guys at RPM check out the noise?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

I tried to get mine to geoff over at EPS to see what he had to say about it but by the time i got their i had stoped. He was swamped hadent eaten lunch yet and it was almost 4 so i dident want to tie him up to long tryin to make this happen again

Quick Reply: Ok. Wtf. I quit.