Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

fresh rebuild and the car moves in neutral???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fresh rebuild and the car moves in neutral???

Well I just got done installing my t56 after i rebuilt it myself. I knew there was an issue when installing the driveshaft I couldn't get it to move when the transmission was in neutral..... I bled the clutch and started the car on jacks to see what it did. When in neutral the wheels start moving. If I put the clutch in it disengages. If I apply the brakes it kills the engine.... It goes into all the gears fine it seems with no grinding at all. I did not try reverse as I didn't want to cause a bind and break anything... What did I mess up here? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well just an update for anybody doing a search.... I apparently made a mistake. I pulled it and disassembled and found the 3-4 synchros middle cone (MM12 triple cone transmission) was jammed into the outer synchro cone not allowing the input to spin free in neutral. I remember lining up the tabs with the input shaft slots but maybe things changed and it jammed it in there when i tightened the case down? Not sure but I replaced the synchro cones and all is well on the bench now.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good catch.

Quick Reply: fresh rebuild and the car moves in neutral???