Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 or Monster 3 Clutch..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3 or Monster 3 Clutch..

I have a 98 camaro ss, and am in need of a new clutch. My current one, assuming stock being only 76k miles is slipping pretty bad.

Currently, my car has got full exhaust, but a cam setup is coming in the near future, so I'm going with a better clutch.

I am between the spec 3 or monster 3 clutch. I have had friends use the spec in an lt1, multiple trips to the track, and it is still holding strong. On here, it seems that the monster seems to be more favored in the ls1.

Just looking for person experience, I'm planning to be around 400-450 HP before all sudden done with my car, and it seems as if the clutch are within 50 dollars to each other.

Also, when purchasing a new clutch it asks me if I want the OEM GM bolts, or ARP bolts, I san save 30-40 bucks by going with the GM bolts, will these hold up fine for me, or do I need to spend the extra money?

Again, im between these two clutch, other suggestions are welcomed, but I do not think I will change my mind on these two.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off I think a stage two would be more than enough for your requirements.

Secondly, based off of my past experience with spec on a stock power car, I will personally never buy anything from them again.

I'm going for a monster stage 1 or 2 for my car, and at some point I plan on being in your target power range as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
First off I think a stage two would be more than enough for your requirements.

Secondly, based off of my past experience with spec on a stock power car, I will personally never buy anything from them again.

I'm going for a monster stage 1 or 2 for my car, and at some point I plan on being in your target power range as well.
The only reason i'm considering the 3 over a 2, is because
1) its only 50 dollars more
2) their own description says not to "hot-lap" the stage 1 or 2, where they say the 3 is able to hot lap over and over and just want more.
I personally only go to the track 1-2 times a year and only do 6 or so passes each time, but its nice to have it if I get the opportunity to make multiple passes without waiting in the line, plus you never know when something in your head is going to tell you that you want to make more power. hah

Thanks for the reply! I'll be ordering the monster tonight or tomorrow sometime!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a bit biased, of course my vote goes to Monster.

Jeremy and the guys at Spec are great people - they would be my #2 if I didn't own my own clutch company.

Give us a call and we'll get you taken care of at our sale price!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

I'm biased too...go figure...it's apparently the norm! It all comes down to planned usage. Since you only visit the track a couple of times a year and you want something that will be good on the street too I would opt for the Stage 2+. You won't find anything else like it for drivability and durability. And, it's what I have used in my last 4 cars! I know it lists for a bit more (money wise) but it really does provide the best of both worlds. Give me a shout and I will be happy to work with you on this unit and I'll do my best to save you a few dollars too! Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I'm biased too...go figure...it's apparently the norm!
It's a pattern! LOL
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Monster >spec after 4 specs I should know.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a monster stage 3, the clutch runs without problem, with that said i would NOT want this clutch to DD with, if you have a weekend/track car then ok

the clutch holds whatever you throw at it, down side to that there isnt much slip at the lower rpms for around town driving

with my clutch (not saying everyones does the same) you either have to take off very slowly bc of no slip or dump the clutch

whatever you do, dont over clutch the car or you will hate it
Old 12-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
i have a monster stage 3, the clutch runs without problem, with that said i would NOT want this clutch to DD with, if you have a weekend/track car then ok

the clutch holds whatever you throw at it, down side to that there isnt much slip at the lower rpms for around town driving

with my clutch (not saying everyones does the same) you either have to take off very slowly bc of no slip or dump the clutch

whatever you do, dont over clutch the car or you will hate it
Looks like ill be ordering the stage 3 tomorrow! Its just a toy, I put 10-30 miles on it in an average week, recently anyways because its been getting cold. My high school is a half mile from my house and ill drive it on nice days, and do the weekend cruises/meet ups as well as a couple track visits.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
. Since you only visit the track a couple of times a year and you want something that will be good on the street too I would opt for the Stage 2+. You won't find anything else like it for drivability and durability. !
having run the SPEC 2+ at the track...I would suggest at least the 3+ or another brand over the 2+

about 2k miles and a few dozen passes.
Attached Thumbnails Spec 3 or Monster 3 Clutch..-lt-1-clutches-086.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

She looks pretty rough lol. How much power you creating?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Launching!

have a monster 11" ceramic n love it so far.nice clutch
Old 12-09-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monster Stage 2 here, with the lightweight flywheel. Engagement feels like stock, never had any issues with it at all, and I am making 470WHP with it, and will be throwing even more at it this season. I would not recommend anything different for you either. I track my car probably even more than you and have no issues with this clutch.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1T56FTW
Monster Stage 2 here, with the lightweight flywheel. Engagement feels like stock, never had any issues with it at all, and I am making 470WHP with it, and will be throwing even more at it this season. I would not recommend anything different for you either. I track my car probably even more than you and have no issues with this clutch.
Darn! Wish I woulda read this before I ordered the stage 3 about 10 mins ago, woulda saved the 50 bucks and just went for the stage 2. I don't know if i'll ever have 470, im hoping for 400 after cam swap in the near future when money permits. lol
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tyler99
Darn! Wish I woulda read this before I ordered the stage 3 about 10 mins ago, woulda saved the 50 bucks and just went for the stage 2. I don't know if i'll ever have 470, im hoping for 400 after cam swap in the near future when money permits. lol
You didnt need to read it before. I posted in my post to not over clutch the car lol im sure if you call them they will switch your order without a problem
Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
You didnt need to read it before. I posted in my post to not over clutch the car lol im sure if you call them they will switch your order without a problem
I figure its there if I need it, and only being 50 bucks, you know how cars go, they cant be fast enough .
Old 12-09-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tyler99
I figure its there if I need it, and only being 50 bucks, you know how cars go, they cant be fast enough .
Going from 400 to 700 takes alot lol

The stage3 is a 6 puck clutch where the 2 is a disk. you most likely going to need a new clutch before you get to 700 anyways so might as well the one that suits you well for the time being so you dont have to deal with a big clutch
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

I know someone running a stage III in their cars being bone stock and doing just fine. I just ordered my monster stage III last week. Can't wait. I am running a LS7 with a ram light weight flywheel. It holds up okay but when it gets hot it tends not want to disengage at high rpms and makes for hard shifting.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

I have a spec 3I in my car which they do not make anymore but has been a great clutch anyway. My clutch is not on and off. I can drive it on the trailer which is a super slow speed with no issues.As far as street use goes the few times it has been on the street it worked like any normal clutch.As far as at the track all I can say is it is awsome.I never broke this clutch in.My burn out at the track was when my clutch got seated.the first miles my clutch seen was in the burnout box and down the track.The 9 second video in my sig is with my old spec 3I. Not sure about either company right now as far as what the disc is made out of but if I were buying another clutch I would want some kind of iron disc so you might want to ask about that.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

*****, wear is relative to a number of factors including flywheel flatness, break-in, proper stage for torque produced, usage, etc...we have talked about this before!

02SOMWS6, The 3i you have was the predicessor to our Stage 3+. The 3+ is smoother for engagement which is great for a street car and it has a higher capacity so it's a great option. It's all about getting the stage that meets the needs, output and usage type that car will see.

Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Spec 3 or Monster 3 Clutch..