Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Cannot Disengage

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Cannot Disengage

So I searched through a few of these threads about the clutch not disengaging and figured I would give a bit of background on mine. The T56 was rebuilt about 50k miles ago. The master and slave were not replaced.

Over the past 6 months I have been having issues with fluid loss. When this first started happening, I noticed the clutch pedal would quickly fall to the floor in the first few seconds of starting the car. If the car was already in gear, the clutch quickly engaged and would start to take off. Pouring some fluid into the reservoir seemed to remedy this issue for about a week.

I made a note to fix it, but never got around to it because of a busy schedule. Last night I was taking my lady home and noticed the clutch dropped to the floor. I filled it with fluid and started down the street when it the pedal sunk to the floor and would not respond at all. I got out and checked the reservoir to find out that it was still full. I had to leave my car on the side of the road and walk home.

From what I understand, the slave cylinder will start to leak after a lot of use (high mileage) and eventually stop working. Based on my description of the problem behaviour, do you guys think that a slave is all I would need? Should I possibly consider replacing the MC as well?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it could be either or in your case but i'd lean towards the slave. go under neath the car and disconnect the master line from the slave then go back in the car. the clutch pedal now should be frimn and unable to move. put some pressure on it with your foot and if it slowly sinks to the floor then you have a bad master. if it stays hard then its the slave. i'd replace both though if was there.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. It may be a few days before I can get to it, but when I do I will report back here and post any relevant pictures.

Quick Reply: T56 Cannot Disengage