Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I need to shim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need to shim?

After getting my transmission rebuilt in February of this this year, my 5th gear came loose. Long story short...all's well and my shop fixed it for free. While it was apart, my "bastardized" clutch was well used and needed swapped out. I got the same pressure plate and disk but went with a full kevlar instead of ceramic. I will not name brands as to not start a debate on why I chose the parts I did, it works for me. I will say that I scrapped my OEM flywheel and went with a billet steel Textralia I found in Canada for cheap, even after turning it .006" to straighten it up. The pressure plate and clutch disk are the exact same along with the slave cylinder that I replaced for good insurance. The Textrailia flywheel is the only variable from my previous set-up.

After the shop got it back together, it is not fully releasing the clutch. While in nuetral, you cannot get it into any gear and when you are in 1st, it will take off when you release the brake. It seems that I need to shim it but how much? I have no clue!

I took it home and bleed the **** out of it tonight and it helped a little but still not good enough. Not sure if driving it a while would help or hurt. I need to drive it for 500-700 miles to properly bed in the kevlar before any agressive driving. That's why I'm worried to drive it while it's not disengaging all the way.

Is the Textralia thinner than the OEM flywheel? I went with it cause it's lighter than my stock one but the difference in the pressure plate makes up for it. Overall, I am runnng a 48 lbs clutch compared to my last combo of 53.2 lbs. My stock unit was 51 lbs. These numbers may not be accurate to others but they were done on the same scale so it is an "apples to apples" comparison.

Otherwise. How would I have my shop check for the proper size shim? Is there a "stock measurement" on the forum somewhere and from where to where do you measure? BTW, the clutch is smooth and holds great. No chatter or shudder like the ceramic before it.

Any and all help appreciated.

OEM vs Textralia
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Yes you do, the car shouldnt roll in gear with the clutch pressed in. Sounds like you need a new trans shop...Good luck, I have to pull mine after 6,000 mi to replace the slave :/
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you bleeding the clutch through the bleed hole in the bellhousing or did you get the quick bleeder? Without the quick bleeder, I worked for a half a day to get the air out... When I replaced the clutch I installed a quick bleeder and used a mighty vac to bleed the master. Still took 3-4 hours. I would work on bleeding the clutch more before pulling the trans again to shim it.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
Old 10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys!

The guy that sold me the flywheel sent me the tickperformance measurememt page. I guess I'll take it back to the shop and have them pull it again.

BTW, my tranny guys are awesome. I gave them the clutch and they put it in for free after warranting and paying for my 5th gear that was not covered by the supplier. They ar the best. I told them I'd take it home and drive it a bit and re-bleed the slave so they wouldn't have to keep it another day. After not having it for 4 weeks, I was in too much of a hurry.

The owner even let me use his utility trailer to move some furniture for a few weeks. He was even going to le tme use his truck since my GTO was in the shop and was the only vehcle I had with a hitch. I went ahead and put a hitch on my wifes Murano instead. How's that for good guys?!

Here's the damage they fixed for free.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

O.K.! I pulled the tranny today and measured. The bellhousing to clutch was .50.4". The slave to tranny bellhousing mount was 49.95". That's a difference of. 45".

How much of a shim do I need? Thanks all!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 AM
Staging Lane

Nevermind! I figured it out. All's well and it's working like a champ.

For anyone who needs help, send me a PM and I'll let you know what I did. Looks like no one used this particular combo before.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lynmup
Nevermind! I figured it out. All's well and it's working like a champ.

For anyone who needs help, send me a PM and I'll let you know what I did. Looks like no one used this particular combo before.
Glad to hear you got it handled.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Steve!

The measurements I sent were right. I got my machine shop to make me a .260" shim and it put it right where it needed to be. I can't believe the Textrailia flywheel is that far off compared to OEM . I was told the pressure plate is the exact same as the one I replaced it with, just a little softer pedal.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Recently replaced my clutch master cylinder. Seems that was the cause of my clutching issues for God knows how long.

If you are thinking obout replacing your clutch master, DO IT! You won't regret it. The guys at Tick Performance are a great bunch of people. I went in person to buy it and they gave me a tour of their new facility.

Awesome place!

Quick Reply: Do I need to shim?