Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t-56 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the car is cold its fine but after driving a little while or in heavy traffic and doin alot of shifting. was wondering if anybody knew or could tell me what to look for beside seeing if it has any fluid in it. lol. preciate it.

I got a 2002 trans am six speed had it for over a year now. when I got it it was shifting fine and never had a problem with it till about the last 7-9 months. when the car is cold (not been driving in a week or so) its done but after it gets swarmed up and I get into heavy traffic or just have to do alot of shifting its gets tough to go in gear and it makes alot of noise just riding and its almost like there's no fluid in the transmission but I've checked it and there is. maybe not enough? but not sure. but I was just wondering if anybody else has had this happen.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fluid should fill untill it runs out the fill hole on the driver's side. You may need to do a vac bleed on the hydraulic system to insure the clutch is fully releasing. Check to see if there is a hole or gap in the body boot around the shifter. A small gap/ hole lets in alot of noise.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Teching In

alright ill give that a try. I been wondering if I had a vac leak or something because if I open the car up its like I lose pressure in the clutch and a little pressure in the brakes and that's what I thought it may be. but I'm not 100% positive about it. but as far as the boot around the shifter its not on a 100% became I took it out when I put a new shifter in and I got pissed off with it and didn't wanna break the ring so I just kinda tried to tuck it in and make it look like its there. but thanks and ill see about getting a vac test done. is there any way I.could do that at home rather than take it to somebody?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Teching In

I have the same problem, and I've been trying to figure it out for awhile, Like you said its fine from the start, but after traffic it gets worse and worse...any advice?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Teching In

I honestly ain't gotta clue. like a while back I think my clutch fluid ran dry and it start shifting hard and not wanting to go in gear then after refilling it it was fine. but its just here within the past few monthsthat its started this but ima try and change the transmission fluid today and see if that helps or even makes a slight difference and ill post about it so you'll know if it helped out and maybe it could something you can look into doin with yours as well.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Yea well when i first got the car, it the Tranny was overfilled by at least a quart and from what i have that isn't good at all, but once I got all the excess out and put fresh fluid in it, it was a huge difference in the shifting and noise in a good way, and now it is getting worse slowly again, do you think that air in the clutch line would cause these symptoms? I haven't ever bled the clutch before...its just weird to me how sometimes it will run fine and shift fine, and then out of the blue start doing it again, maybe i just need to bleed the clutch
Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Teching In

well I changed mine today and I this.k it made a huge difference in the noise and such. but I don't see how it could been over filled by that much because I barely got 4 qrts in mine today. and just fyi I would definitely but a pump thing to get it from the jug to the tranny. lol. I didn't. cause on my dads chevelle you could just take a quart bottle and sneeze it in the fill but since the f-body is designed the way it is and I couldn't do that or have the pump, I I ran a 5/8 rubber hose from the fill to the to the outside of the car and worked my *** off getting the fluid in there. lol. but I done some research on why these cars do this and it seems as tho GM didn't wanna redesign the master cylinder and the way the 3/4 bore flow is its not getting enuff fluid to the clutch to let it disengage. but you can get a mc from ticks performance that's got a 7/8 bore which is the same as what's used on nascars. and they say its worth every penny and I seen alot of good reviews and I'm thinking about getting one myself but I don't wanna give the money up for it yet. lol. but check it out at ticks performance. maybe that would solve both of our problems. its says it will and so has everybody else that has commented on their site and on here.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...or-ls1-f-body/

Quick Reply: t-56 transmission problems