Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question T56 Removal

Going to be removing a t56 from an ls1 in the next few days. Was wondering if it was as simple as unbolting it and sliding it out from the engine. Or is there anything else I know before doing this.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 AM
12 Second Club

Remove shifter, remove exhaust, drive shaft, make sure you have about 3 ft of extensions to get to the top bolts. Unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing, and take the bellhousing out after makes life so much easier. The way I got to the top bolts was I unbolted the trans crossmember and slowly lowered the back of the trans and let everything rest on the motor mounts. I did it all in my garage on the floor by myself and was not bad at all
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by White6SpdZ28
Remove shifter, remove exhaust, drive shaft, make sure you have about 3 ft of extensions to get to the top bolts. Unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing, and take the bellhousing out after makes life so much easier. The way I got to the top bolts was I unbolted the trans crossmember and slowly lowered the back of the trans and let everything rest on the motor mounts. I did it all in my garage on the floor by myself and was not bad at all
I was told you could not remove the tranny from the bellhousing? I am no ls expert and are about to pull mine out and wanted to just pull the trans and not the complete unit. I was told the bolts to the trans are inside the bellhousing on a ls t56. Anything else I should know before pulling trans?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the trans FROM the bell housing, then take off the bellhousing. The trans-bellhousing bolts are external, and are easier to remove, than the upper bellhousing bolts.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the "Transmission Front Adapter" plate that uses bolts inside the bell housing. The trans can and should be removed from the bell housing THEN the bell housing from the engine.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

The biggest pain of removing the trans, for me, is getting the y-pipe off. It's always a PITA to take off and put back on. Also, don't forget to unplug your vss, reverse lock out, skip shift, reverse light plug, etc.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T AM
The biggest pain of removing the trans, for me, is getting the y-pipe off. It's always a PITA to take off and put back on. Also, don't forget to unplug your vss, reverse lock out, skip shift, reverse light plug, etc.
Thanks for the help, mine is in a 80 malibu with shorty headers so I am hoping its not going to be bad!! I have heard that its a pain in the *** to get the tranny back in? Do I have to remove the hydraulic line to the slave? I was hoping to not have to bleed the clutch again!!1
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Not sure about the slave because I've only removed one on an lt1 which is external. Getting it in is just a matter of lining it up properly. I find it helpful to check the gap between the trans and bell to make sure it's the same all around. Had mine in and out 3 times with no issue after the 1st time. My brother had to help 1st and showed me that. 2x since done it alone on the floor on with a jack with a wooden jig I built to hold it. I'll be finding out about the ls1 t56 soon unfortunately.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 80bu
Thanks for the help, mine is in a 80 malibu with shorty headers so I am hoping its not going to be bad!! I have heard that its a pain in the *** to get the tranny back in? Do I have to remove the hydraulic line to the slave? I was hoping to not have to bleed the clutch again!!1
No problem. If you are working with an LS style then yes; you have to unplug the line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. I'm not sure how the hydraulics are for an LT style are.

Last edited by T AM; 12-27-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Unplug wires, unbolt trans from bell housing.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T AM
No problem. If you are working with an LS style then yes; you have to unplug the line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. I'm not sure how the hydraulics are for an LT style are.
On the lt1 the slave is on the side of the transmission. The whole hydraulic system can be removed without needing bled. They sell them pre-bled. My ls1 clutch is giving me trouble so I'll be schooling myself on it soon. It also needs bled occasionally and my bleeder is twisted in the housing just enough I can't get anything on. I bought a $30 mityvac and it works like a charm.

Quick Reply: T56 Removal