Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tailshaft Not Centered in Housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tailshaft Not Centered in Housing

I purchased this T56 trans used, supposedly with less than 75,000 miles. Went to slip the yoke in and noticed the tailshaft is not centered in the housing. There is no noticeable play or runout in the shaft. Rotating the shaft does not change the orientation of the shaft to the housing. The shaft rotates easily without binding and appears to be inline with main case and other shafts. There are no obvious cracks or damage in the main case or tailshaft housing. The mating surfaces of the case to the housing bolt up flat. The housing is easily removed and installed.

Has anyone seen anything like this?
Attached Thumbnails Tailshaft Not Centered in Housing-t56-tailshaft.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The tailhousing is not mounted flush or could be bent, though unlikely. Take the tailhousing off and diagnose from there.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I have had the tail housing off and on quite a few times. When bolted up, it appears to mount flat and flush to the main case.

However, I just took the housing and placed the mounting surface on a solid, flat surface and there is a slight rock or wobble. So I put the housing back on and only tightened the bolts on the left side. The difference in the offset was not near as bad. If I only tighten the bolts on the right side, the offset is even worse. I think the housing is either bent or the mating surface is warped or not flat. It takes very little movement at the mounting surface to make quite a bit of difference at the output shaft end. I guess I need another tail housing.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the yoke actually supports& centers the output in the rear bushing. I am concerned with the flatness issue, however.
Do an input shaft end play measure....excessive end play will make for a loose output shaft. I would bet you ave excessive end play...a re-shim should fix this.
Did the unit come with a bell? If there was a axle/ propshaft trauma in its life, the pass side bell to block can show some cracking/ wallowing and can also bend an output shaft.
If you end up tearing this down, you can put the output shaft between centers & measure the runnout( bend).

Quick Reply: Tailshaft Not Centered in Housing