Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Gto T56 Growling Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gto T56 Growling Noise!

Hey guys, GTO started making a nasty Growling noise while shifting between gears. It like a vibration/Growling noise and you can feel it in the shifter as well. I have done lots of research etc and it seems the gto's have issues with the "Pilot Bearing" Well not just GTO's but also t56's. Anyways I changed the clutch 15K miles ago and DUMB A Me didn't change the Pilot bearing. I hear the horror stories of the Pilot chewing up the input shaft. Can any buddy chime in here? It does not make the noise while clutch is fully down or while clutch is released. But only makes the noise between gears while shifting. 1st gear and reverse are hard to get into at times. I will answer any questions, or bs with anyone about this. A local trans shop tried to tell me my counter shaft was broken, but come to find out the shop has a bad rep. So i'm coming here... Any help is greatly appreciated! It makes the noise a lot less when cold and more when operation temp. But however with the trans at operating temp the last 2 weeks it has rarely made the noise at all. The noise has gone down more than half of what it was. Even if trans at operation temp.

Thanks guys please help!! Any thought's welcome!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds more like a throwout bearing to me. The pilot bearing wouldn't increase or decrease noise based on anything but speed. The throwout would make more noise when you apply pressure to it to move the pressure plate. When they make noise though they make noise with the clutch pushed all the way in.
Does it make the noise while you are stopped?
It really sounds like it might be time for a rebuild. These trans can get really expensive if they are driven on too long and when I had mine rebuilt there was a lot more messed up than I had anticipated.
My only theory is that there is a problem with the clutch/throwout bearing but that would make the noise at idle/stopped as well.

Quick Reply: Gto T56 Growling Noise!