Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cts-v clutch not fully disengaging and hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cts-v clutch not fully disengaging and hard shifting

Hello everyone been a long time lurker and there's a ton of great info on this forum but I need some real help this time. I recently purchased a 2004 cts-v with 115000 miles on it. I got a decent deal on it, but it has a few issues, one of them being the clutch doesn't fully disengage which makes for very hard shifting at high rpms and even worse when its cold (cant get it into reverse)So basically the clutch engages very close to the floor and has a decent amount of free play at the top (definitely more than it should). The previous/ original owner said that it was changed out to a heavier duty clutch at 80,000 miles by a shop, which I believe because it is definitely stronger than stock because it does have a slight chatter occasionally and is very hard (much harder than stock) to push down and it grabs very nicely just like it should. So I bled the clutch and fluid was very dirty and black, with no help at all. My question for you guys is it a bad master cylinder? Slave cylinder? Both? Does the clutch just need to be shimmed? I can do all the work myself so I wont be taking it to a shop, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Teching In

**slave need to be shimmed not the clutch
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Theres really no easy way to diagnose from the outside of the car. If you bled the system out and it seems to be air free and holding, then youre on to the slave, shims, or a new clutch - all of which require the removal of the trans. May as well just drop it out to find out whats really wrong, and replace the correct parts. If its a shim issue, then just replace the slave anyway. Way too much work to skip a relatively cheap part.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Teching In

So can we pretty much rule out the master? I would hate to do all that work of pulling out the trans and finding out its the master. Also who makes a shim kit for the V? I remember seeing some shim kits a little while ago but they said in the description that it will pretty much work on everything but the ls6 cts-v
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

You cant really rule anything out until you start checking parts. The master is easier to get to, but it seems clutch parts/shimming are more likely. Just stinks that you didnt do the install and that you have no knowledge of whats in there. Makes diagnosis harder.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As was stated above, if you don't know what you have, you can't state it ever even worked right from the get-go. What you describe sounds like a worn out clutch in the least and an improper set up at worst. Problem is, if you or the PO drove it like this awhile, you may as well count on a trans rebuild too.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Well it doesn't grind or pop out of gear.... Yet haha so more than likely the trans is ok, I will have to pull it soon though. Thanks for the help and I'll update once I figure out the exact problem.

Quick Reply: Cts-v clutch not fully disengaging and hard shifting