Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch recommendation

Hello everyone,

Having swapped over to a t56 from the 4l60e, and reusing a used 11" Dual Friction Centerforce clutch that was in there from the wrecked car I bought, I've found that the 370 some odd ft/lbs of torque I'm throwing down is making the clutch slip during shifts (unknown mileage on the clutch itself). It also had the Centerforce Billet Steel flywheel as well that I could reuse.

so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good clutch (probably a single disc, for price) that could handle and be reasonably street-able with a twin turbo setup that would put down 7-800hp reliably?

I was looking at a 12" Dual friction, as supposedly they're supposed to be up there in torque ratings, but a few associates have recommended giving Ram clutches a call. So I figured I'd ask the tech and see what you guys think, more opinions the better right?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fosnot
Hello everyone,

Having swapped over to a t56 from the 4l60e, and reusing a used 11" Dual Friction Centerforce clutch that was in there from the wrecked car I bought, I've found that the 370 some odd ft/lbs of torque I'm throwing down is making the clutch slip during shifts (unknown mileage on the clutch itself). It also had the Centerforce Billet Steel flywheel as well that I could reuse.

so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good clutch (probably a single disc, for price) that could handle and be reasonably street-able with a twin turbo setup that would put down 7-800hp reliably?

I was looking at a 12" Dual friction, as supposedly they're supposed to be up there in torque ratings, but a few associates have recommended giving Ram clutches a call. So I figured I'd ask the tech and see what you guys think, more opinions the better right?
Do NOT go with a Ram clutch, at least not their twin disk, huge waste of money. I got about 9 months (4000 miles) and the 3rd time at the drag strip with that clutch with 430rw/410tq the clutch burned up and I was not doing high RPM launches. $1200 wasted (back in 2009)

If you want a clutch that will handle your current power level and other FI mods down the road, go with a Monster stage 5/6. I personally had a stage 3 but changed to the stage 5 which required 0 break in miles and had 0 chatter. The 5 handled DD duties with ease and was quiet, and when I added a supercharger and was making 750rw it never slipped once.

Now Im going with a 402ci with a D1SC and a possible shot of nitrous. Aiming for 850-1000rw so I'm about to go with one of Monsters new Twin Disk units.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, give us a call if you have any questions about our clutches.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

SPEC Stage 3+ (SC093F) will easily handle your planned output and provide great street manners too! See the link below and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1998/Single
Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

I like my Spec stage 4 pretty well but I think it is a bit too much for a daily driver. It really isn't that bad but it is super grabby and will catch you off guard at lights some times. It is nice knowing that you will never have to worry about making too much power though so I would suggest getting something a step above what you expect to make for power in the future.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 PM
FormerVendor

Redline your Stage 4 uses a pucked disc whereas the 3+ uses a full-faced unit that makes engagement smoother. Both of them hold very well though and are able to meet different needs dependent on planned usage!

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendation